Historian John Keegan Passes

Started by mirth, August 03, 2012, 04:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

John Keegan influenced my interest in military history more than any other author. I read his "The Price of Admiralty" for a college Naval History course and was hooked. He will be missed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/03/books/sir-john-keegan-historian-who-put-a-face-on-war-dies-at-78.html?_r=1&hp
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

W8taminute

Loved his work, he will be sorely missed.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

airboy

Noted military historian John Keegan died in London yesterday.

Many of us have read his works.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bismarck

I'm terribly sad to see this; I feel like I've lost a friend.
Jim Cobb

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GroggyGrognard

RIP John.

The Face of Battle and Six Armies in Normandy are among my favorites.
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

mirth