Author Topic: Video cards and new system  (Read 2043 times)

Offline demjansk1942

• Viking
Re: Video cards and new system
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 06:53:16 PM »
Did you look at Digital Storm?  They make good systems

Offline SirAndrewD

• Condottieri
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »
I had a good month at work, now I'm getting a RTX 2080 Ti, no question.   

Not sure how crazy I am doing it.

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 02:11:19 AM »
I'm looking at one too, Huw. I'm just trying to do my homework. I thought about building but I can look at components forever and it drives me crazy with information overload. So I'm looking at getting a pre-built system.

Prebuilt is the way to go in my opinion.  I'd rather manage a single warranty for a system that has been put together by professionals who do it all day long, than warranties for every part I've used as I fudge together another system that always has at least one issue (because I don't do it all day long) and looks like a bird's nest of cables when I'm finished.

Nice thing is where I work I can get components like SSDs, or HDDs cheap.

That's lucky!  When I bought this PC a large part of the cost was due to having 2xSSD and 1xHDD put in it.  Not to mention the SSD I have Windows on is only 240GB which started to bite almost straight away!

Offline WallysWorld

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 09:21:01 AM »
I'll be ordering my new system today, but I'm having the dealer build it for me and install Windows on it. For a small cost, I think it's worth it to get them to build and test it as I've never built a complete system myself.

I was going to install Windows 10 myself, but I thought for $25 CAD they will do it and download all needed updates instead of me spending half a day doing it myself.

Once I get the new system, I am interested if my electric bills will drop as my i7-920 is overclocked to 4 Ghz and it uses power like crazy. The i9-9900k even at full load should use less than half the power consumption from what I've read.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:49:11 AM by WallysWorld »
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson