Video cards and new system

Started by demjansk1942, August 09, 2019, 05:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demjansk1942

Did you look at Digital Storm?  They make good systems

SirAndrewD

I had a good month at work, now I'm getting a RTX 2080 Ti, no question.   

Not sure how crazy I am doing it.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Huw the Poo

Quote from: CJReich46 on August 28, 2019, 06:50:28 PM
I'm looking at one too, Huw. I'm just trying to do my homework. I thought about building but I can look at components forever and it drives me crazy with information overload. So I'm looking at getting a pre-built system.

Prebuilt is the way to go in my opinion.  I'd rather manage a single warranty for a system that has been put together by professionals who do it all day long, than warranties for every part I've used as I fudge together another system that always has at least one issue (because I don't do it all day long) and looks like a bird's nest of cables when I'm finished.

QuoteNice thing is where I work I can get components like SSDs, or HDDs cheap.

That's lucky!  When I bought this PC a large part of the cost was due to having 2xSSD and 1xHDD put in it.  Not to mention the SSD I have Windows on is only 240GB which started to bite almost straight away!

WallysWorld

I'll be ordering my new system today, but I'm having the dealer build it for me and install Windows on it. For a small cost, I think it's worth it to get them to build and test it as I've never built a complete system myself.

I was going to install Windows 10 myself, but I thought for $25 CAD they will do it and download all needed updates instead of me spending half a day doing it myself.

Once I get the new system, I am interested if my electric bills will drop as my i7-920 is overclocked to 4 Ghz and it uses power like crazy. The i9-9900k even at full load should use less than half the power consumption from what I've read.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson