'STEAM to sell Non-Gaming Content'

Started by TheCommandTent, August 08, 2012, 04:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

QuoteValve announced Wednesday that it is expanding its Steam platform to offer non-gaming software.

Beginning on Sept. 5, Steam visitors will be able to load up on more than just Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and Portal 2.

Valve did not reveal exactly what the non-gaming section of Steam will include, except to say that many titles "will take advantage of popular Steamworks features, such as easy installation, automatic updating, and the ability to save your work to your personal Steam Cloud space so your files may travel with you."

Titles will be added on an ongoing basis and developers are welcome to submit software via Steam Greenlight, a platform that lets users vote on the titles they most want to see released by Steam.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408247,00.asp

Interesting development.  So do you think this will be beneficial addition to STEAM or do you think we will be spammed with adds for software us gamers won't need?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

It sounds like a move to make it more akin to the Apple App Store.  You could in theory buy MS Office from Steam and download and patch through the Steam client, which honestly wouldn't be a bad deal.  However I suspect they must have some insight into MS new store and are looking to be competitive with it.

LongBlade

Bison, I think you're right.

Imagine this: no need to bring a laptop. You log onto a terminal in your hotel room and there is your workspace: email, documents, spreadsheets...log off your work account, log onto your play account and start gaming.

Application development goes through cycles: fat client to thin client and back. With Steam, we can be headed right back to the thin client days where everything resides on a server. Bandwidth is fast enough now that you should be able to download everything you need to work or play. With the exception of some high end action and RTS games, most middle-of-the-road PCs should be able to run most games and pretty much any work apps.

It's not so far fetched.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

I wonder if they will have a STEAM summer sale for non-gaming software.  :D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Bison

Heh.  Maybe.  MS Office 2012 mid week sale 50% for $55!  Woot!  I'd love to work boss but I'm waiting for Powerpoint to go on sale first!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MIGMaster

Be great for digitial mags and comic books

eyebiter

MIGMaster

LongBlade

Quote from: eyebiter on August 14, 2012, 09:45:39 AM
What's next Steam anti virus?

Not a bad idea. Steam sometimes has conflicts with AV. It ought be be able to tell the difference between itself and something else.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.