DEMO - Regiments - Single player RTS, cold war - Very WARGAME Eugen like.

Started by Destraex, June 24, 2020, 03:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

well I sure didnt like the demo.
to quick, gives the impression of being very clicky.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

The_Admiral

Not sure what's too quick about something that is fully pausable and can be slowed down to 0.25x of its normal time flow, Star... At that point it is slower than Armored Brigade  ^-^

The cute 3D shall not give it disservice or lead us to misunderstand its value as a game. To all intents & purposes it is a wargame - aka a real, kriegspielin' wargame. Units are not expected to behave individually like they do in Eugen's series, they are cute representations standing for the usual counters you'd use in these situations, and answer to the same rules of roll-defined damage with facing & armor values you'd find in any company level set of rules - with all the added value in terms of automation & detail (aka damage steps) you'd expect from a computer version. The unit scale is that of Steel Panthers 3, TacOps, Eastern Front, Flashpoint to name a few, and its mechanics save for some design choices (aka mainly the indivisible nature of platoons) are highly comparable. It can absolutely be played like these are, you're in full command of the clock. You shouldn't be hesitant or ashamed to make full use of it.

I dare say its cosmetics do their job so well that people don't even realize they're playing a wargame anymore. Which is great, except when wargamers are led astray and don't realize that either, which is quite a paradox  :coolsmiley:

MC

Quote from: The_Admiral on July 28, 2022, 12:40:10 AM
Not sure what's too quick about something that is fully pausable and can be slowed down to 0.25x of its normal time flow, Star... At that point it is slower than Armored Brigade  ^-^

The cute 3D shall not give it disservice or lead us to misunderstand its value as a game. To all intents & purposes it is a wargame - aka a real, kriegspielin' wargame. Units are not expected to behave individually like they do in Eugen's series, they are cute representations standing for the usual counters you'd use in these situations, and answer to the same rules of roll-defined damage with facing & armor values you'd find in any company level set of rules - with all the added value in terms of automation & detail (aka damage steps) you'd expect from a computer version. The unit scale is that of Steel Panthers 3, TacOps, Eastern Front, Flashpoint to name a few, and its mechanics save for some design choices (aka mainly the indivisible nature of platoons) are highly comparable. It can absolutely be played like these are, you're in full command of the clock. You shouldn't be hesitant or ashamed to make full use of it.

I dare say its cosmetics do their job so well that people don't even realize they're playing a wargame anymore. Which is great, except when wargamers are led astray and don't realize that either, which is quite a paradox  :coolsmiley:

If it can be slowed down to 0.25x and is fully pausable, that is a big plus. I'll be interested in reading some hands-on reviews once it is released.

The_Admiral

Some innocent fun I had with the preview build (developer privilege, ahr-ahr) during my daily blitzkrieg-coffee moment.  :coolsmiley:

First series was taken at night, so obviously the shots might look a bit dark depending on your screen settings (and I was a rookie back then, I didn't know about the freecam, and I had left the mouse cursor on the screen too). The second sequence was taken during the day, this time with all the bothering stuff taken care of. Obviously it's not made to be played so close from the ground, but at least that's one game I can call absolutely AAR friendly!

In the first sequence below, East-German motorized infantry enters a small complex. Fitter fighter bombers open the assault with a napalm strike, as ground elements push forward. It ends on the location proper, where everything has burnt already (hence the dark color of the barren soil)

Here's a close up of the East-German NBC suit that you see on my screens, taken by the dev.

In the next sequence, here's German mechanized infantry advancing alongside its Marder IFVs, still in a NBC suit (I won't spoil but there's a reason for all that).

Fitters strike again, aiming at a Leopard 2 platoon. The first aircraft has a rocky approach to target due to ground fire from Gepard SPAAG and its bombs fall wide. The second one though attacks unhindered and put the bombs right in the middle of the four vehicles. But these are HE small bombs, and besides the suppression & the fireworks, overall damage is superficial.

Here here! Needless to say, I am having a lot of fun  :smitten:

greengiant

Looks great!  I think my only real peeve with Eugen's Wargame franchise is how difficult it can be to tell what's going on. It's all nice and well to zoom in during a replay, but generally you're high up observing the battlefield during combat and I found it a bit frustrating seeing things blow up and not having a clue what just blew up until I either paused to zoom in, or paused without zooming while my forces got trashed. Great games, just not for me. They do make for some of the most entertaining replays/youtube footage though; insane amount of detail.

fran

Looks great. Do one need high spec PC to enjoy. Also does the night battles influence LOS. And use of flares as a counter is needed?

The_Admiral

Aye, flares nullify night range penalties within a given radius (which is visible to you when you are about to drop them). If you drop them too close and your units are within said circle, the buff obviously applies to the enemy too.

Units are rated for their night vision gear with a value that implies a lower or higher penalty during night combat (from none, to basic, advanced, thermal). To quote the game directly regarding the mechanics (in their in-game encyclopedia)

QuoteNight Vision: Night imposes additional challenges: spotting range is reduced, identification happens much slower and weapon accuracy degrades.

Most units have at least basic night vision equipment which partially offsets those negative modifiers. Advanced 2nd Generation night vision equipment is better, while Thermal imaging cameras and Ground Surveillance Radars remove the penalty almost completely.

Using illumination Tactical Aid is another way to combat darkness. Artillery-delivered flares will last for about 60s, removing all night modifiers agianst targets in the illuminated area

In other terms, at night Pact units are usually forced to attack on a single point so as to benefit from their illumination tactical aid, while NATO units tend to be able to maneuver in the dark better and can possibly strike more easily at different points in the enemy line. They can also try to make the best use of the enemy's illumination aid recharging, or having been deployed somewhere else.

fran

Quote from: The_Admiral on August 13, 2022, 12:57:09 PM
Aye, flares nullify night range penalties within a given radius (which is visible to you when you are about to drop them). If you drop them too close and your units are within said circle, the buff obviously applies to the enemy too.

Units are rated for their night vision gear with a value that implies a lower or higher penalty during night combat (from none, to basic, advanced, thermal). To quote the game directly regarding the mechanics (in their in-game encyclopedia)

QuoteNight Vision: Night imposes additional challenges: spotting range is reduced, identification happens much slower and weapon accuracy degrades.

Most units have at least basic night vision equipment which partially offsets those negative modifiers. Advanced 2nd Generation night vision equipment is better, while Thermal imaging cameras and Ground Surveillance Radars remove the penalty almost completely.

Using illumination Tactical Aid is another way to combat darkness. Artillery-delivered flares will last for about 60s, removing all night modifiers agianst targets in the illuminated area

Thank you

Grim.Reaper

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I can't get it to run in 4k. 1920x1440 is the highest resolution I can get. I've tried on two separate systems. The first is a multi-monitor rig. I contacted MP and apparently multi-monitor setups are not yet supported. So I tried it on a different rig and I'm having the same problem. Very frustrating.

They're working with me to solve it, but I really don't feel like playing it at all in 1920x1440.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

That stinks...I am on the fence so far.  Really want to buy it, but afraid the scale/speed will be too much for me as other games like this seem to overwhelm my abilities to manage.  So hoping to see some reviews indicate its a slower/manageable pace compared to others.  I realize some of the other games have various pause methods, but still did not help me greatly.  Prefer smaller units and focus versus trying to manage across a large map.