Main Menu

New PC help

Started by acctingman, July 20, 2020, 11:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

So, my current rig is 6 years old and makes more noise than I do when I first wake up in the morning.

I'm not a hard core gamer like most of you here, but I do enjoy WoW and some war games, but I'm not into shooters (I do want that new Star Wars game coming out). I used to keep up with PC tech stuff years ago, but I couldn't tell you what's better over what these days. I know the name brands and know to stay away from no-name OEM crap.

I was thinking of buying a Costco gaming PC or possibly ordering from one of the online places. Here are 3 PC's I'm looking at. If anyone has the time to take a peak and offer their advice, I'd greatly appreciate the extra eyes and knowledge!

Thank you  :notworthy:

https://www.ibuypower.com/gaming-pcs/easy-pc-builder/result

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/EVO-Mini-I-200

https://www.costco.com/hp-omen-25l-gaming-desktop---amd-ryzen-7-3700x---radeon-rx-5700.product.100579374.html

Jarhead0331

I haven't looked at the offers, but I wouldn't buy from the manufacturer direct, like cyberpower or ibuypower. They don't tend to offer the best deals.

Check out Newegg. I've found some great deals there and have bought my last 3 rigs from them.

https://www.newegg.com/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CptHowdy

go with the ryzen build from costco. the rx5700 gpu in it is better than the cyberpower 1660. the ibuypower link didnt work for me just brought me to their home page. those hp omens get good reviews. the PC i just bought has the ryzen7 3700x processor and a rtx2070 super video card. I would have spent more and got the 2080 gpu but i also had to purchase a monitor and a desk.  :'(  good luck with your purchase!

acctingman

Con

One thing to consider if you buy PCs seldom is upgrade capability and support. I buy a top of the line Alienware every 4 to 5years and upgrade it in between. Having good support and plenty of online videos is helpful for those inevitable whoops moments when you are fiddling inside.
I did a cost comp build vs buy Alienware three years ago and the price break difference was less than $300 or about 10% of the cost.  For that I got an awesome case and help and updates to
Bios etc that continue to today.

Gusington

My rig previous to the one I have now (5 years ago) was an ibuypower rig and I did not buy direct, IIRC I bought it from NewEgg IIRC and it is still running nicely for my older daughter.

The rig before that (10 years ago) is a Dell and is still running for my younger daughter.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

My son and I built our own desktops 4 years ago and saved 40%. Bought almost all of the parts from Newegg. Since then we have both added RAM and updated graphics cards. He upgraded from an i5 to an i7. As a result, we both have what are still pretty good rigs. I just had to replace my laptop. I priced out offers from Newegg, iBuypower, Cyberpower and Dell. Costco beat them all. Badly.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

WallysWorld

I've read more than a few websites that this is a bad time to buy a new graphics card with the new versions coming out supposedly in September or the fall. If you can, maybe wait until you see what the new cards can do and their pricing. I built a new PC last year with a RTX 2070 Super and I'm looking forward to see what the new RTX 3000 series can do.

Right Now Is a Terrible Time to Buy a Graphics Card
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

airboy

Quote from: Con on July 20, 2020, 04:51:13 PM
One thing to consider if you buy PCs seldom is upgrade capability and support. I buy a top of the line Alienware every 4 to 5years and upgrade it in between. Having good support and plenty of online videos is helpful for those inevitable whoops moments when you are fiddling inside.
I did a cost comp build vs buy Alienware three years ago and the price break difference was less than $300 or about 10% of the cost.  For that I got an awesome case and help and updates to
Bios etc that continue to today.

^ I bought several from Alienware - but they were bought out by Dell.

I've gone back to Falcon Northwest. 

Like you, I don't do shooters, fight sims, graphics design, or other notable CPU hogs.  I usually can buy a Falcon Northwest (or Alienware), use it for 5-7 years, and get a new one.

Ubercat

Digital Storm has been good to me.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell