Washer and Dryers? Not spam

Started by Jarhead0331, September 13, 2020, 06:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Best budget washer/dryer brands? I've had Samsung for the last 5 years and they've been a total disaster. I've had it. Looking to spend no more than $600-$700 on each unit. In this price range, Maytag, Whirlpool, GE and LG seem to come up the most.

Thanks
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

steve58

We've had an LG washer the last 4-5 years and its been great.  The Whirlpool (Cabrio?) we had b4 that was total crap.

Our Kenmore dryer (15 years old) has been a workhorse. Had to replace the heating coil last year and just ordered a door switch.  Replaced the coil myself and will be replacing the door switch the next day or so.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

SirAndrewD

Both mine are Maytag.  Dryer must be going on close to 20.  Never even a hitch from them.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

We've got a pair of Samsungs that we have had for a decade.  Washer has been great with only routine maintenance.  Dryer sensor has never worked properly.

I suggest you:
1] look at Consumer Reports.  They are pretty reliable for major appliances
2] If you have had regular repair visits (sounds like you have) ask your repair guy what he thinks.  He will have more first hand experience than all of us unless someone owns laundromats. 

Gusington

^We always use Consumer Reports before any kind of purchase like this.

With that said, our Whirlpool washer/dryer is very good.

But our Whirlpool fridge I don't like...not because it works poorly but because it is poorly designed, ie, is not efficient with space.

So...for a washer/dryer you can do much worse than Whirlpool.

We have a Samsung flat screen TV that is about 12 years old and is worth its weight in gold. Never had a Kenmore or LG anything.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

I think my current washer dryer are Kenmores but they were left over from the previous owner.

In our old house we had Whirlpool (I think, maybe GE) they were ok. The washer would dance a lot so I had to strap it to the wall and the dryer had a sensor due on me but I was able to self diagnose and replace for about $20.

I'm all about the simple with washers and dryers. Really do not want major electronics in appliances that work with water or in high humidity places (such as a laundry room)
Insert witty comment here.

Pete Dero

In Europe Miele (Germany) is a high rated brand, maybe they are also available in the US.

Just behind Miele are Samsung and Whirlpool.

solops

My appliance repair guys have been here over the summer working on several items - AC, frig, sink disposal. We asked about washers. They all said buy American, not because they are better but because they have trouble and delays getting parts for foreign brands.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Dammit Carl!

In our old house, we had a Roper washer and dryer for damn near 20 years which were still working when we moved at the end of last year (left them there as we had newer units with the new home).  It's Whirlpool's budget brand and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the brand again.

Only repair item of note I ever replaced was the heater element/device/part on the dryer, and that was done a year ago.

Gusington

We have a Bosch dishwasher that sucks, btw. Not sure if it is a budget brand ( I don't think it is) but I would stay away from that name. Never fully cleans anything.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I went with Maytag (which is owned by Whirlpool). Thanks for your comments.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

solops

Quote from: Gusington on September 14, 2020, 11:03:17 AM
We have a Bosch dishwasher that sucks, btw. Not sure if it is a budget brand ( I don't think it is) but I would stay away from that name. Never fully cleans anything.
We also have a Bosch. It does indeed suck.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 14, 2020, 12:13:23 PM
I went with Maytag (which is owned by Whirlpool). Thanks for your comments.
You did good. My wife is agitating to replace our perfectly good Sears washer because she HATES the water efficiency stinky feature. We wind up washing each load two or three times with extra rinse cycles each time. Sooo stupid.

Myrmidon

Hate to be the contrarian here, but as a 20 yr plumbing contractor that mostly works on remodels and new construction, I've put in my fair share of DWs.  Bosch is one of the best on the market. 

If some of you all are having issues, I'd suggest possibly making sure the filters and sensors are cleaned out and haven't malfunctioned.  Anytime I've had issues with dishes not being cleaned, that is what it has boiled down to.  There are some easy videos online on how to do it, especially if you know your model number.

If you've done all that and are still having issues, it's possible the solution(s) may be something deeper.  But as far as Bosch dishwashers go, they are high end, and go into a lot of the nicer custom homes I've installed plumbing for.  Just my 2 cents...

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Myrmidon on September 14, 2020, 03:21:36 PM
Hate to be the contrarian here, but as a 20 yr plumbing contractor that mostly works on remodels and new construction, I've put in my fair share of DWs.  Bosch is one of the best on the market. 

If some of you all are having issues, I'd suggest possibly making sure the filters and sensors are cleaned out and haven't malfunctioned.  Anytime I've had issues with dishes not being cleaned, that is what it has boiled down to.  There are some easy videos online on how to do it, especially if you know your model number.

If you've done all that and are still having issues, it's possible the solution(s) may be something deeper.  But as far as Bosch dishwashers go, they are high end, and go into a lot of the nicer custom homes I've installed plumbing for.  Just my 2 cents...

We're talking about washer/dryers...but next time I'm in the market for a dishwasher, I'll be sure to look at Bosch.

Good to know who to ask around here about plumbing issues, though!

Edit: Nevermind. I see you were responding to Gus.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog