Who Pre Ordered New Console?

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 22, 2020, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Just curious, who pre ordered a new XBOX or PlayStation?  I ended up pre ordering an XBOX from Amazon today, but I'll be honest there is a high probability I'll cancel prior to the actual release....just wanted to have one in my queue in case I change my mind:)  A number of reasons for me...

- None of the planned initial games really interest me a lot, although haven't researched a ton
- Didn't use my previous XBOX as much as I would like....my kid is no longer at home, so that use is less too.
- Most of my time still ends up with PC games
- It always concerns me buying the first release of a console, I always suspect there will be some design flaw fixed on future version:)

We'll see over the next month what I decide, just curious about other people's plans, if any.......

Gusington

I did not, but I am getting a new PC rig on Black Friday :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on September 22, 2020, 11:26:57 AM
I did not, but I am getting a new PC rig on Black Friday :)

If I had to choose between a console and PC, I would go with PC Myself:)  Luckily right now my computer is likely good for a couple of more years before I would face another decision.

Gusington

I have been tempted by the likes of Bloodborne and similar, but as long as there are emulators and even the remote possibility of PC versions, that's enough for me. For now, anyway.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Not me. I have never pre-ordered a console. I typically get them months after release once they are easier to get and I know there are games I will want to play. Its no question that I will eventually get them, its just a matter of when.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 22, 2020, 11:42:36 AM
Not me. I have never pre-ordered a console. I typically get them months after release once they are easier to get and I know there are games I will want to play. Its no question that I will eventually get them, its just a matter of when.

Probably the best move and likely the one I will eventually end up making....I highly doubt I keep the pre order.  Although, if I don't pre order, I am not sure I'll ever buy one unless something exclusive comes out that I can't live without....and based on history, that didn't happen for me with the current XBOX so likely won't happen with this either.

Maybe I still buy it and then sale during the holidays to some desperate parent that wants to spend a lot of money on it and must get it:) 

Gusington

So you're a MS guy, not a Sony guy - I need a Sony guy to tell me how much I am missing with their exclusives like BloodBorne or Demon Souls or God of War. If they have legit reasons as to how those games are incredible, then I would definitely consider a next generation console in addition to a new PC.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on September 22, 2020, 11:54:56 AM
So you're a MS guy, not a Sony guy - I need a Sony guy to tell me how much I am missing with their exclusives like BloodBorne or Demon Souls or God of War. If they have legit reasons as to how those games are incredible, then I would definitely consider a next generation console in addition to a new PC.

Yep, pretty much have owned every generation of an XBOX and not any PlayStation.  The one game that almost got me to cave was The Show (Baseball), but I hear that is coming to PC and other consoles next year.  There is very few if any games that would drive me to buy a certain console.  Never had any issues with XBOX so going to stick with it, plus I like how I can use the GamePass subscription for both my console and PC stuff.

jamus34

I almost never preorder and try to wait until they identify and correct any issues that invariably pop up.

That said I'm pretty intrigued with the PS5 and will definitely pick one up at some point, probably next year.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

The only modern console I have owned was the original Playstation, when I was too poor to purchase a PC. Thank God those days are behind me :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jamus34 on September 22, 2020, 12:18:14 PM
I almost never preorder and try to wait until they identify and correct any issues that invariably pop up.

That said I'm pretty intrigued with the PS5 and will definitely pick one up at some point, probably next year.

Yep, that is one of my considerations...doubt it will come without some kind of flaw that would bug me.

al_infierno

I have a buddy who bought a PS4 on release day (or preordered? don't remember) and ended up having a nightmarish time dealing with hardware issues because of some faulty HDMI slots on the very early PS4s.  Pretty sure he sent that thing back into Sony at least half a dozen times over the course of several months.

After that, I'll never buy a console that hasn't been market tested for at least 6-12 months.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

I've been a console/pc gamer since 1989.  I've owned many pcs as well as a NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, PS3, and a PS4. 

I can honestly tell you though that I will not participate in the next gen consoles.  The simple reason is I absolutely REFUSE to pay 60 dollars or more per year in order to be allowed to play online with someone.  I can play thousands of titles on my gaming rig online with friends for FREE whenever I want. 

Why should I be coerced into playing games on a console and forking over extra cash to be allowed to engage in multiplayer?  Not buying the subscription is not an option because then my trophies will not get date stamped when I unlock them.  If you think I'm being a baby about that yes you're right I am being a baby but that's what makes me tick and I love it!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

You have to pay to play MP?? I would pay not to!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on September 22, 2020, 02:55:31 PM
You have to pay to play MP?? I would pay not to!

Yeah they started making people pay to play online back with the XBOX360 and PS3 iteration of the console wars.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk