Medieval Total War 2 problem

Started by Boggit, October 14, 2021, 10:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

I restarted by old campaign from about a year ago on MTW 2 Steam definitive edition. I had last been previously playing for hours with the Retrofit mod with no problems. I started today and the computer freezes when I get into the campaign screen. I can initially move the mouse cursor around the screen, but it freezes as soon as I stop and locks the computer. Ctrl-alt-del won't even work and I have to do a hard reset (pressing power for 5 secs). Now I tried the other campaigns supplied, which also used to work and the same thing happens, so its not the retrofit mod at fault. The only thing I can think of is upgrading my video drivers from AMD, but that normally isn't a problem with older games. I've done the usual stuff like verify the old files on Steam.

I'd like to be able to play MTW2 again. This issue doesn't seem too be an issue with the other games in the series.

So please, if you can help, advise me how to fix this. Do I need to run the redistibutables again or reinstall? It is really odd as I've never had a problem running this game until now.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

W8taminute

I've had similar issues with ETW and NTW.  There is a fix for this but since I'm not at my home computer I don't have the website link I found that helped me.

I do know that there are two things I did to fix this problem.  One was to try letting Steam verify the MTW2 files.  Exiting Steam and logging back in again and try running the program. 

Then there is some .ini file you need to delete somewhere in the 'Documents/My Games' folder that helped me.  When you delete that file you re-install the game and things work fine.  Then you can re-install the mod and try running your campaign.

I'll look into this more when I get home later on tonight.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

I have not seen this problem but like W8 says try verifying your cache first. You can also unsubscribe from the mod just to double check the original game is working on its own. Also - is the mod out of date?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Here's the link that I used to get Empire to work for me.  Hopefully there is some information in there that will help you get MTW2 going again for you.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/214185/empire-doesnt-launch-in-windows-10
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Boggit

Quote from: W8taminute on October 15, 2021, 05:54:07 PM
Here's the link that I used to get Empire to work for me.  Hopefully there is some information in there that will help you get MTW2 going again for you.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/214185/empire-doesnt-launch-in-windows-10
Thanks for your efforts, but the thing is I can launch the game.

The problem is that the mouse and keyboard freeze about 30 seconds or so - sometimes earlier - when I am in the campaign map screen.

If you can think of anything else I will greatly appreciate that. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Sir Slash

That's a tough one Boggit. I've been playing M2TW all weekend and have had no problems, Vanilla and with the Stainless Steel Mod. Though I do launch SS from a shortcut on my desktop, not from the Steam site, I don't know if that would make a difference. Vanilla works fine from the Steam site though for me. Sorry I can't be more help.  :-[
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^Where you launch from should not be an issue...but sometimes can be :)

I'm beginning to sound like my Help Desk at work.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Windows 7 compatibility mode seems to help these guys. Perhaps a permissions problem in windows 10. Run as administrator? If it was me I would purge the game and clean the profile folders before a clean reinstall of medieval 2. But the problem is you want to play the old campaign. I suspect if all the files are there that some files may be locked out or grabbed by your anti virus as the game tries to access or run them.

I also have to ask if medieval 2 has had a patch that would have conflicted with the mod, perhaps the mod has been stream workshop updated and you auto updated to a bad version?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?755286
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

solops

I play the Steam version of MTW2 with no problems on my desktop which has Win10 on it that was upgraded from Win7. I use an old USB corded Microsoft mouse. Do you have a new mouse?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Boggit

Problem solved!!!

Sauron40 called me from France and we went through a number of possibilities - none worked. Then we rolled back the driver for my AMD R9 270 and hey presto things were back to normal. I had updated the driver a couple of months ago to get Warhammer 40K Gladius to work - it was constantly doing a CTD - until I got the latest driver.

Now I have the solution, but it is a bit of a pain as I have to roll back the driver for MTW2, then re upload the latest driver for Gladius. I raisd the issue on the AMD website so hopefully they will make the next graphics card driver compatible with both games (I'm not holding my breath though!)

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. I was gutted at the prospect of not being able to play MTW2 again.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Quote from: Boggit on October 18, 2021, 10:35:30 PM
Problem solved!!!

Sauron40 called me from France and we went through a number of possibilities - none worked. Then we rolled back the driver for my AMD R9 270 and hey presto things were back to normal. I had updated the driver a couple of months ago to get Warhammer 40K Gladius to work - it was constantly doing a CTD - until I got the latest driver.

Now I have the solution, but it is a bit of a pain as I have to roll back the driver for MTW2, then re upload the latest driver for Gladius. I raisd the issue on the AMD website so hopefully they will make the next graphics card driver compatible with both games (I'm not holding my breath though!)

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. I was gutted at the prospect of not being able to play MTW2 again.

WOW. What an amazing community there is here!
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

Heh, tech help, from Sauron...in France...who would have thunk it 👍

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

Glad you got it fixed, this with stainless steel was probably my most played Total War of all and sadly I dont have it on Steam at the mo, have the original disks somewhere...

Gusington

^If you find the original disks you can use those activation codes on Steam, which I just very recently learned from Toonces 👍

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd