Rowan Comeback - Flying Corps

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 18, 2021, 07:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Rowan and its progeny are responsible for some of the greatest flight sims of all time. In addition to the Rowan line, i believe some of the main founders of Rowan eventually broke off and started DID, which brought us EU2000 and F22.  Late 90s and early 2000s were definitely the golden age of combat flight sims, although I'm hard pressed to complain with the glory that is DCS, but it would still be nice to have some other competitors for high end combat simming, especially in VR.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Steam just informed me that Flying Corps is "on sale" for 20% off. You can now have it for about $19. 

Really?

I don't think anyone is falling for this. There are no user reviews, even though it has been out since June.

After all, who wants to buy a 1995 flight simulator at that price? Also, I always thought Flying Corps was just a shadow of Red Baron 3D....just with better graphics.

I might buy it at $3 just to stroll down memory lane...but not $19.  Besides, it is not even clear if it runs on current machines. 

OK, rant over...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

I lusted after Flying Corps when it was new and I didn't have a PC to play it. But even I, a WWI flying fanatic, cannot bring myself to spend 19.00 on Flying Corps in 2021. I want to...I just can't. The images on the Steam Flying Corps page are not terribly horrible or dated looking but I know they don't represent what the reality would be.

If someone says to me that the campaign is worth it, then maybe I'll consider it at half price. Maybe.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

I also don't know where the text came from in the game description on Steam but Jesus...it just screams 'stay away':

[It is a flight simulation game which is based on the theme of the World War 1 and is one of those which has really depicted a realistic flight war gameplay. You have 6 different planes in the game which are the ones that were famous in those times.
The planes have been modelled perfectly and have been given a lot of details.
You have both instant playing mode and the campaign mode for doing a wide variety of missions.
Coming to the planes again, the inner dynamics have been made with a good number of details which allow you to check the speed, the height of the aircraft, the targets, situational awareness and many other on board options which you can easily use and implement in the gameplay.
So you can easily say the user interface in the gameplay is very good and interactive. The flight dynamics are realistic and really pose a challenge to the gamer.
The graphics have been given a lot of details and the exploration value is simply better than most of the simulations. The A1 is you can say top notch and the controls are perfectly calibrated to the flight control.]

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

That seems very...odd.  Especially at the insane price point.

Who exactly is releasing and distributing this? 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on October 15, 2021, 03:00:29 PM
Chinese cyber spies.

Makes sense. 

Honestly....makes more sense than it should. 

Both Rowan and Empire have been defunct for a long time.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

The language above basically screams it...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I think that's worth a report on Steam. 

They're actually trying to put it off as a new game.

Something smells.