Ongoing Histwar Les Grognards Saga

Started by Bismarck, February 13, 2012, 12:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bismarck

Yet another path.  I can hardly wait until this game is reviewable

Patch 03c (RC1) - February 2012

This patch brings many gameplay corrections and improvements in the user interface.

Terrain scale adjusted for the change in unit scale when switching between 1:1, 1:2, 1:10
    Multi-threading was introduced to boost game speed on multiple cores computers
    Corrected display mistakes. For fatigue 100 = no fatigue, 0 = maximum fatigue
    Corrected the deployment zone of coalition forces on the large campaign maps
    Corrected the display of the strength of units in vague information mode
    New path finding rules to avoid units leaving the battlefield prematurely
    Changed the routing conditions of an army to take into account the strategic advantage despite massive losses
    Corrected corps order processing to avoid early withdrawal
    Adjustments made to the process of resuming an advance after a withdrawal
    Corrected the issue of a unit in a defensive line not routing despite massive casualties
    Implemented a new process to manage assaults on artillery batteries
    Removed the capability of making 12lbs horse artillery from the OOB editor
    Added a random map option with constructions
    Added 8 new meshes for constructions

Add-ons to the user interface

Options Menu: Option to choose unit scale (1/1 - 1/2 - 1/10)
    Tutorial : Option added to choose between the classical and new interface (*)
    To switch between interfaces outside the tutorial : Press G (*)

Add-on to the map editor interface

Switching between densities for constructions: Press CTRL + T

(*) only if the window resolution is higher than 1189 pixels

The 1:1 , and 1:2 scales are still in beta test phases

New demo

The demo has been updated and now includes both interfaces and both tutorials.
However the demo scale is still 1:10
Côté Modds

The Peninsular War (version 1.1) and Waterloo (Version 1.1) mods are now fully compatible with HistWar.
The installer of the game will now install the corresponding directories automatically.

HistWar tournament 2011
Jim Cobb

W.S. Hancock

Jim, I dont know much about this one as I am not very interested in the Napoleonic period.

I remember this thing being in development hell for a long time, but thought I saw some favorable takes on it not long after it was released.

Is the game truly so bad that even a couple of years after release, it isnt yet even in a state where it can be fairly reviewed?

If so, that is astounding.

Bismarck

Personal call.  The game stuck me as having great potential out of the box but we saw bugs early on and the dev was patching so often I couldn't pin down a version to review. I like Nappy so I've waited. I'll do me review here when the article apparatus is ready.
Jim Cobb

Toonces

Funny enough, I was actually googling Histwar today to see what the status was.  I'm really looking forward to it being "complete"..
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

@Bismarck (and anyone else that wants to answer), I'm wondering what your preferred Napoleonic games are right now? 

I'm slowly working my way through Chandler's The Campaigns of Napoleon and I would love a game to play while reading the book.  I have Napoleon Total War, but since I only have my laptop right now I can't run it.

I've been eyeballing Empires in Arms for a couple of years now, and the time is right to pick it up if it gets a thumbs up from you.  Or, what else would you suggest? 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bismarck

EiA never turned me on - a bit too abstract. Campaigns on the Danube works for me as does Crown of Glory. I also like HPS/Tiller's stuff and Napoleon in Italy.  Stay away from Commander - Napoleon at War.
Jim Cobb

Toonces

Interesting.  I have CoG already...I guess maybe I need to boot it up and give it another go.

jomni

I have Histwar and stopped playing because there are so many games that play and look better.
The main challenge is the UI.  There is really something about the French and quirky UI. :)

But it's not a bad game when not compared to others.  It's actually rather good in simulating Napoloeonic battles. ;D

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

spelk

Quote from: Bismarck on February 14, 2012, 09:45:39 AM
They hane a new optional UI.

Time to patch it up and have another look methinks.

twitter3

Quote from: spelk on February 14, 2012, 09:56:25 AM
Quote from: Bismarck on February 14, 2012, 09:45:39 AM
They hane a new optional UI.

Time to patch it up and have another look methinks.

Please be sure to let us know what you guys think of the latest patch.  I was messing around with the demo over Chirstmas break and am very interested in this game once my free time opens up in late May.  Thanks!

ArizonaTank

I am one of those who have liked the game for a while.  IMHO the recent patches are just cleaning up minor issues mostly.  The biggest new thing, is 1/1 troop representation (ie. a regiment now has 1000+ troops)...it's really something to see full regiments on the field. 

The GOOD:

1)  Historical accuracy.  The dev walks the walk here, some examples:
    a.)  Regiments have accurate composition.  French line regiments for example, have grenadiers, sappers, voltigeurs, all in the correct uniform, and marching in their proper place in formation (unlike Total War that has only three types per regiment, a drummer, an officer and then everybody else). 
    b.)  Corps level units deploy and fight like they did in real life.  The game also takes into consideration different doctrines depending on nationality.  The problem with most Napoleonic board games, or HPS Napoleonic battle series (for that matter), is that the player has full and immediate control over individual units.  So the player can optimize deployments and fight in a way that the real opponents would have found to be very difficult to control.
    c.)  If you are a recovering Napoleonic mini gamer like I am, the uniforms are heaven.  The uniforms are all very accurate to the period, and change depending on the year of the battle being fought.  Early French infantry have the bicornes hats, then move to shakos.  There are even a handful of French regiments with white coats during the brief period that Napoleon experimented with them.
    d.)  Orders are carried by courier so moving an army requires patience.  Couriers can be intercepted by the enemy as well. (for those that don't like this idea, the couriers can be turned off.)
2).  Integrated mods now cover the 100 days, and Peninsula campaigns
3).  The game is really a Napoleonic tool kit, map builder, forces builder, and or random game generator allow the recreation of almost any battle during the period (except Prussian forces are somewhat sparse however, and there are no US forces).  There hasn't been a game with this capability since SSI's Battles of Napoleon.
4).  Accurate map building:  Some dedicated players have figured out how to build maps accurately using satellite elevation data.  There are now dozens of player created maps for historic battles.
5).  The game plays pretty quickly.  Players can easily complete a major battle in a few hours.
6).  The game supports both real time internet play, and PBEM turn based play.  Have your cake and eat it too.

The BAD:
1).  Grand Tactical AI is still weak, but much better than released.  The biggest problem is it does not react to the humans moves.  Once the fur starts to fly at the tactical level, the game holds it's own.
2).  UI Most folks who don't like, or are having trouble with the game complain about the UI.  For me, the issue is that it does not follow convention.  After quite a bit of play it grew on me, so I am now quite comfortable with it...but there is a "what the f*@!" curve.
3).  Patches:  The dev is a pretty dedicated to updating the game, but he doesn't release many comprehensive patches.  So you often have to patch up in sequence.  Also, sometimes there are new issues introduced in patches. 
4)  Graphics: while most wargamers don't really care a great deal about graphics, HWLG has some graphical things that break the "suspension of reality" factor and thats not good.  For example, cavalry charges.... Cav regiments seem to slide over the field, slam into their target, mix it up with the enemy, then either win or run.  It all looks very mechanical.   
5)  Concept:  The game really wants you to play as Army commander, and only give orders to corps.  Not really a bad thing, but certainly an issue with many old time wargamers who love to have control.  While the player can give orders to individual regiments in the game, when he does, these regiments become detached from their corps, so the player has to remember to reattach them if he wants the AI to take them back into it's fold.
6).  Historical Battlefield Deployments :  This is a problem the player can fix, but the deployments of units in some historic battles like Austerlitz are very generalized.  For somebody who really knows the battle well, this will be a distraction.

OVERALL:
IMHO, If you think a non-standard UI is something you can live with, and you love the period, I highly recommend the game.  If you are finicky about UIs, and just want to dip your toes in the period, I would recommend Napoleon Total War.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

twitter3

AT - I appreciate your thoughts and insights.  It does sound like something I would very much like. 

ArizonaTank

Glad to help.  I'll put together an AAR here in the next few weeks. 

Almost forgot...another issue folks have with the game is that situational awareness takes time to master.  The interface makes it hard to figure out what units are doing and their status.  Actually there are plenty of reports available, it's just that it takes time figure out where to find information.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: twitter3 on February 20, 2012, 07:06:35 PM
AT - I appreciate your thoughts and insights.  It does sound like something I would very much like.

+1!