Which Civilization game you prefer?

Started by Oche, November 02, 2012, 09:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I actually like Civ 5 but I have the fondest memories of playing the original Civ for hours on end.

MetalDog

Quote from: OJsDad on November 02, 2012, 10:34:53 PM
Call to Power was the best in my opinion.

I have Call To Power.  I installed it.  Played for an hour or so and never played it again.  And I have no idea why.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

DennisS

I prefer Warlords, Master of the Arcane. It is a clone of Civ V, but a lot more interesting. Very nice balance of units, spells, and city management. I picked this up the other day, and I was very surprised with it.

House rule: No Ghosts. They are overpowered like a mo-fo.

MetalDog

I played I on the original Playstation ( _CasH got you like 10,000 gold.  You could buy Wonders then.)  I played a lot of II and III in their time.  I liked II because any city you took, if your opponent had Tech you didn't, you would gain one they had and you didn't.  I played Conquests to death.  Even trotted it out to PBEM with W8 last year. 

Initally, I disliked IV.  I thought it was cartoony, too.  And I hated the Religion aspect.  But the colors really popped and the visual style grew on me, so I kept playing.  IV with Beyond the Sword is now my favorite game of all time. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Silent Disapproval Robot

I played Civ II to death when it was first released.  So much so that I was pretty burnt out when III and IV came out.  I skipped III entirely and didn't like the cartoony aspect of IV at all.  I played a fair bit of it, but it never grabbed me like II did.

I like Civ V, but like all of Sid's games, I find the end game to be a chore as the AI cheats and always goes into kill the player mode.  Doesn't matter how close dip relations were for 90% of the game, they always turn on you near the end.  Always.

I haven't picked up Gods & Kings yet.  I'm waiting for a sale.

Greybriar

Quote from: DennisS on November 02, 2012, 11:28:06 PM
I prefer Warlords, Master of the Arcane. It is a clone of Civ V....

No, it isn't. It's a descendent of Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy and predates Civ5.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Bismarck

I upgraded Civ V last night and was only going to play a few turns at 9:30; I quit at 12:45. :D The patch does seem better, though I can't put my finger on it.
Jim Cobb

Senex

Currently I'm happily playing both Civ IV and Civ V.

But I'll be playing Civ II for the rest of my life.

Yskonyn

I have very fond memories of Civ 1. Played that hours on end with a friend and I think I remember it so well because it was in de Golden Age of gaming. At least for me. High school period with lots of sharing new and interesting games.
Civ was one of the big and interesting titles.
I also have Call to Power whi h I had won by just calling a number in my parents tv guide.
Played that one to bits as well.
Only got Civ 3 in its Gold pack with all the expansions, and but never got quite into it. I Mainly due to having so many other games asking for attention.
Civ 4 was a day 1 buy and enjoyed it too. It marked another big change in my life: alone in a foreign country getting my first job as a green pilot.
I can agree about the Cartoony style; it was distracting, but still played it many many hours. The lone evenings in that apartment along the Mersey river in Liverpool are vividly in my mind still.

Got Civ 5 on release but performance problems prevented me from playing. I think I would very much enjoy it though, so I should reinstall. Has multilayer picked up by now for it?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

solops

Bought all the Civs and all the expansions EXCEPT for Civ V. Liked IV the best, especially with the mods.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Bison

Quote from: solops on November 03, 2012, 05:57:37 PM
Bought all the Civs and all the expansions EXCEPT for Civ V. Liked IV the best, especially with the mods.

Welcome solops.

DennisS

Quote from: Greybriar on November 03, 2012, 07:36:31 AM
Quote from: DennisS on November 02, 2012, 11:28:06 PM
I prefer Warlords, Master of the Arcane. It is a clone of Civ V....

No, it isn't. It's a descendent of Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy and predates Civ5.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks, then it could well be a clone of a duck.

What gaming development house built both Warlords, and Civ V?

Bison

I assume you mean warlock?  Warlock was developed by Inco Plus and published by Paradox.  CIV V was developed by Firaxis and published by 2K games.

solops

Warlords was done by SSG originally. One of the guys who worked on it at SSG split off and continued developing it as Infinite Interactive.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin