Main Menu

Win NT

Started by renobe, November 10, 2012, 12:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renobe

I was shopping for a new computor at Amazon an noticed they had several new computors with Win NT . the machines are not refurbished ones . One of the machines had a 2.8 GHZ Dual core processor. I thought this os was replaced by Win 2000. I am wondering how compatible this os is with programs that Win XP runs? Plus is this the same os from way back in the 90s?

LongBlade

Yikes.

That's not my area of expertise. IIRC NT was the professional version and better oriented toward networking. Without question networking and OS's have come a long way. Setting up a network now can be done by someone almost braindead.

I don't think you'll find working with it quite as easy.

That's about all I can add; hopefully someone better schooled in that will be able to share more insight.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Do the computers run Win NT (old) or Win Server NT (new)? Can you post a link to some of the computers? I can only find on on the US Amazon site.

EDIT: The only thing currently showing running a form of NT is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-Evo-Workstation-W4000-Quadro2/dp/B0009LZANM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1352569242&sr=1-1&keywords=win+nt

... and it's probably a 7 or 8 year old set up. Anyhoo- I'd avoid NT for regular home use unless you are running NT or Server 4.0 specific software. You can buy or build your own Win 7 or XP system for a reasonable cost.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

renobe

I noticed that Amazon removed the machines from the listings since yesterday. It could not had been seven or eight years old because Dual Cores processors did not exist at that time .

Staggerwing

No I didn't think so either. That was why I was asking about the links. The computers were probably a closeout from some business source, maybe even refurbs, meant for use as servers for a small company or organization. If you are looking for cheap computers you can also check Tigerdirect.com. They will frequently list HP and Dell computers that are off lease but perfect for light duty such as a kid's homework system (not enough power to run Skyrim but plenty to research a grade school report on the Magna Carta or hippos.) If you need a gaming rig you need to build it yourself or get it from a reliable source. Amazon's listings seem to be mainly small batch resellers.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MIGMaster

Probably was for dual CPU PC's.... NT used multiple processors, but the last version is now way too old to be useful.

eyebiter

Windows NT 3.5 & 4.0 did not have much multimedia support, it was mostly used as a workstation or server OS for business.  You could play many games on Windows 2000 though not all windows 98 era programs would run. Finding Win2k device drivers was a challenge before Windows Update.