Rechargeable Batteries

Started by DicedT, December 28, 2012, 12:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

All this tech is devouring batteries like a black hole. I'm thinking of switching to rechargeable batteries. But I tried them a couple of years ago - Duracells and the Duracell charger - and the batteries retained so little charge that I went back to expendables. Any recommendations for good rechargeables?

mirth

Quote from: DicedT on December 28, 2012, 12:58:51 PM
All this tech is devouring batteries like a black hole. I'm thinking of switching to rechargeable batteries. But I tried them a couple of years ago - Duracells and the Duracell charger - and the batteries retained so little charge that I went back to expendables. Any recommendations for good rechargeables?

I've used Duracells, Energizers, Rayovacs and some generics. Honestly I can't see much difference between any of them as far as holding a charge. I have had problems with the Energizer AAs not charging after awhile.

Usually when I buy now, I go with the least expensive brand, which has been Rayovac.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DicedT

Do the rechargeable batteries hold as much charge as the expendables? It seemed like I had to change the rechargeables more often.

bob48

I use rechargeables, and I think your right, they do not hold the same charge, but they also save you a lot of money. Its worth it in the long run to go to rechargeables.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Quote from: DicedT on December 28, 2012, 01:46:13 PM
Do the rechargeable batteries hold as much charge as the expendables? It seemed like I had to change the rechargeables more often.

In my experience, the newer rechargeables are comparable to standard alkaline disposables for most uses. I don't have much experience with Lithium batteries so I can't say how they compare. The cost for Lithium batteries is too high for me to want to experiment.

Other than the Energizer AAs that won't charge properly, I've been satisfied using rechargeables over the last couple years. I still use disposables for things like the kids toys because I know those things will be inevitably lost or given away and I don't want to lose the more expensive rechargeables with the toy.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

LongBlade

Funny you guys mention this. I carry a AA Maglite around with me and find I'm constantly burning out batteries. Eventually the thing will turn on in my pocket and burn for a couple of hours before I figure it out. Been thinking about buying recharables for a while now. Looks like it's about time I took the bite.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bob48

Its a good idea to get one of those fancy chargers that hold 2 or 3 different size batteries, and a good supply of batteries themselves. As soon as you take a set out, bung another lot in, and then you'll always have a good supply of ready charged ones.
I know all that sounds obvious, but...... :-[

'Clip those corners'

LongBlade

Quote from: bob48 on December 28, 2012, 04:15:17 PM
Its a good idea to get one of those fancy chargers that hold 2 or 3 different size batteries, and a good supply of batteries themselves. As soon as you take a set out, bung another lot in, and then you'll always have a good supply of ready charged ones.
I know all that sounds obvious, but...... :-[

Got one. A long time ago I had some rechargable AAs, but I think I accidentally tossed them out. Or something.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Or you could just go with a belt holster for your flashlight.  Unless of course you like the question being asked of you "is that a small flashlight in your pocket or are you happy to see me?"

bob48

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

we use Energizer Recharge rechargeables (silver w/ green writing) for most of the kid toys around here.  Since the kids keep living crap on all the time, and they still last a while, I figure that's not a bad endorsement of them.  We usually leave them in to charge overnight, so they're topped off after 8 hours for sure, but probably quicker than that.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 28, 2012, 08:12:20 PM
we use Energizer Recharge rechargeables (silver w/ green writing) for most of the kid toys around here.  Since the kids keep living crap on all the time, and they still last a while, I figure that's not a bad endorsement of them.  We usually leave them in to charge overnight, so they're topped off after 8 hours for sure, but probably quicker than that.

Those are the same kind I use. Do you ever have problems getting them to charge?

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

republic

I can vouch for those green Energizers too.  However, pay attention to the capacities written on the side of the batteries, I noticed that in buying I had gotten 3 different capacities.  Make sure you get the one with the biggest "mAh" if your having trouble with them going dead too fast.

I ended up with some ranging from 1300mAh to 3200mAh, so watch out!