3D Printing in Action

Started by bayonetbrant, January 23, 2013, 02:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Good article about the kids here at NC State playing with 3D printing

http://www.technicianonline.com/features/science_and_tech/article_fdb76462-5a0e-11e2-8bdb-001a4bcf6878.html

QuoteAlthough several procedures still have yet to be finalized, the 3-D printers at Hunt Library are operational and ready for students to use.
According to Rogers, students can come during the 3-D printers' operating hours of between 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. with an STL file of their design and a Hunt Library employee should be available to help create a model from it.
"You can give us a file and then we can talk through certain decisions like what machine you want to use and then we'd agree on a process and a price. We then have a form that you'd fill out and then we'd tell you that it's going to be a day or two days and then you can come back and pick up your model," Rogers said.
Students can create STL files from programs such as Solidworks, Autocad, Inventor, Tinkercad, Rhinoceros and Sketchup.
Rogers said that the 3-D Printing jobs at the Hunt Library are charged by the amount of material used. However, students will know how much each design will cost before they are printed.
"I think these machines are astounding," Rogers said. "It's really kind of a challenge to students and other people on campus to see what they are going to make with these machines. The machines are here for you all. What are you going to make?"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

It will be interesting to see what kind of things they can come up with.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

eyebiter

Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 23, 2013, 06:02:35 PM
It will be interesting to see what kind of things they can come up with.

Just wait, a few years from now when they will be able to 3D print using various kinds of metal.

steve58

How about micro 3D printing?  I can imagine lots of practical uses, but maninpulating the printouts might be a bit of a problem...

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

I may not have hover cars but Ill damn well see touch screen smart walls and holographics.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Canadistanian hover cars in South Florida.....

Id buy a Wirblewind.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

eyebiter

steve58

3D-printed skull implant

Glad to see they are wasting no time in implementing this new technology...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)