IRL (In Real Life) > Books & Reading

What are we reading?

(1/1098) > >>

Martok:
Based on recommendations made over at the old site, I've been into the Horatio Hornblower books in a big way the last several weeks.  I'm currently halfway through Flying Colours, and probably about halfway through the series overall -- I started reading them in chronological order. 

(Speaking of which, I strongly recommend *against* doing that.  Read them in the order in which they were written instead, as otherwise the experience isn't quite as good.) 

At the same time, I've also been reading (although less intensely) What If? 2, a collection of essays examining major historical turning points, and what might have occurred had things gone another way.  Pretty interesting stuff, even if I do find a lot of the alternative scenarios to be very far-fetched. 

LongBlade:
At Bison's recommendation I'm reading Steven Saylor's series of a Roman detective, starting with Roman Blood. Put it down to historical fiction, it's good stuff.

Gusington:
I am reading China Marches West: The Qing Conquest of Central Eurasia. It focuses on the interaction of the Mongols, Russians and Qing Chinese from the16th century til the 18th century. It is rather academic but something about it is very addictive too, I can't get enough of it. Probably because I haven't read a lot of Chinese history. Great book.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/China-Marches-West-Conquest-Central/dp/0674057430/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330973795&sr=1-3

bob48:
Just finished Thunder Run, now reading Phoenix Squadron.

MIGMaster:
So what did ya think of Thunder Run ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version