Dawn of the Grog: Early Age game (in progress)

Started by Phobos, May 21, 2013, 06:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phobos

There was some interest in an EA game, so I decided to get the ball rolling.

Host: PBEM Llamaserver.
Official game name: DawnoftheGrog
Map: Land of Legends
Turn Length: 48 hours. Players may also request temporary extensions. Turn length permanently extended upon request.
Number of Players: 10.

Mods: Other People's Mods 6.
Streamers and Standards
Community Sprites Update mod. 1.11

"Other People's Mods 6" is a combination of three very popular mods (CBM 1.94, AwesomeEndgame, AwesomeGods) plus some bugfixes.

Game Settings: Special Site freq. 50%, Hall of Fame entries 15, Renaming is allowed, No graphs, Independents 9.  Subject to change by request

Victory Conditions: None.  Winner declared by total conquest, total dominion conversion or concession by remaining players.  Subject to change by request. 

Diplomacy Policy: None; do as you wish, keeping in mind consequences in future games, as well as later in that game (if you stab someone early, any alliance later in that game is likely to prove less trustworthy). Trades should be fulfilled.

Other rules:
Have fun.  Don't pointlessly ruin someone else's fun.

Don't use game exploits.  Most of these involve copy/pasting orders to achieve things not normally possible, such as hunting for blood slaves underwater, or copying the scripts of special units like Bogus and Friends.

The EA test nation is not a valid nation choice for this game.

I can update this page as required.

Nations:

Pangaea  Phobos
Ulm  Byrdman57
Mictlan Ubercat
Ermor ScottWAR defeated turn 20
Lanka Huw the Poo defeated turn 32   
Hinnom undercovergeek
Tir na n'Og Beelzeboss
Fomoria mkivcs defeated turn 21
Yomi Ogaburan
Abysia Phillipe

byrdman57

Ubercat

That other peoples mod appears to be broken. I tried to check it out but when I start a new game with it enabled I CTD. Disabling the mod allows me to successfully start a new game. I suggest that we stick to the mods that we already know work.

Oh, and I call Mictlan.  ;D
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Phobos

Interesting.  Is OPM the only mod you have active?

Because attempting to start a game with multiple mods active could create the issue you described.

edit:  I have no issue altering the mods used for this game, if any.

ScottWAR

Huw the Poo

Phobos

updated

5 players is enough to start defining some of the game settings.  I'll use the default options in the original post, unless someone wishes them to be altered.  While I have not noticed any issues with the "otherpeoplesmods 6" mod, I will be happy to alter that, if it will make players more comfortable.

With any luck, we should be ready to start submitting pretenders to llamaserver by the weekend.  I'll define the map one I have a better idea of the numbers of players involved (a map suitable for 5 players may not be suitable if more people wish to join the game). 

Huw the Poo

undercovergeek

undercovergeek

i think the number of players is key - decide now if you want a small personal grogs one (the one uber,jason, huw, ysk and i had turned over very briskly) or a bigger one and post it on des etc

Phobos

A smaller number of players would probably be easier to manage and lead to faster turns.  I'll probably cut off recruitment by the weekend.  I would prefer to leave some time for any interested parties to join, so a few more days will probably be enough.  Then I can set up the game on llamaserver.

This will be my first time acting as an admin, so I'll probably be laissez faire in that role.  As I see it, my main job once the game starts is to set the timer back and forth, as required.

Setting the game up is no major thing.  I have played a couple of games, so it is about time I administrated a game in turn.  I appreciate the prompt responses by all interested parties.  It looks like an interesting roster of nations, so far.   

undercovergeek

re setting up the game - thankyou

re admining it - im sure we're all on hand to lend our vast knowledge to you!!

Ubercat

Quote from: Phobos on May 21, 2013, 08:28:47 PM
Interesting.  Is OPM the only mod you have active?

Because attempting to start a game with multiple mods active could create the issue you described.

edit:  I have no issue altering the mods used for this game, if any.

I disabled the other mods as you suggested and was able to start a game.

The first neighbor I encountered were the mythical endgame diversity mod. They attacked me with a terrifying size 6 Grendelkin around turn 4 that I was barely able to chase off. I suggest that players not be allowed to pick this nation for obvious reasons.  ;)
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Phobos

lol I'll update the OP.

I think that is a testing nation.  You load it in single player to take a look at some of the end-game summons.

Beelzeboss

I would like to join as Tir na n'og. Thanks for organising the game.
If you want I can help with admining the game. It doesn't look that complicated.