Main Menu

Windows 8 Fail?

Started by Shelldrake, March 13, 2012, 07:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

Interesting article by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes that describes his experiences with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. His prediction is that Windows 8 will fail harder than Vista. Why can't M$ leave well enough alone?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/heres-whats-wrong-with-windows-8/19027

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

LongBlade

Hmmm.

Generally speaking in a preview you aren't supposed to go over flaws because the software is still in development. Unless something is really big.

I don't review OS's so I'm not accustomed to how they do things. What he lists is pretty damning. But I personally think I'd tread a bit more lightly on the preview.

He is either really sure he knows what he's looking at won't change, or he just want to be out front of everyone else regardless.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

If things shake down as he suggests MS should only release every 2nd OS. Most of my stuff is still XP based - even at our workplace xp is the dominant platform.

Shelldrake

Quote from: MIGMaster on March 13, 2012, 08:45:10 AM
If things shake down as he suggests MS should only release every 2nd OS. Most of my stuff is still XP based - even at our workplace xp is the dominant platform.

Same here. I am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke don't change it".
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on March 13, 2012, 08:45:10 AM

That has been the patter for a while, hasn't it?

Martok

Mr. Kingsley-Hughes isn't the first person to heavily criticize Windows 8, and I bet he won't be the last.  (You should hear Brad Wardell over on the Stardock forums complain about it -- and he's a big Microsoft fan!)  As others have noted (both here and elsewhere), M$ seems to have a good release in regards to their OS's only on the odd-numbered ones, so make of that what you will. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Arctic Blast

I don't see it as that big a deal simply because I don't think I'm the target market for this one. Win 8 is MS making a push for the hand held market, and considering how big that market has become, it makes a lot of sense to do so.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Martok on March 13, 2012, 12:38:32 PM
Mr. Kingsley-Hughes isn't the first person to heavily criticize Windows 8, and I bet he won't be the last.  (You should hear Brad Wardell over on the Stardock forums complain about it -- and he's a big Microsoft fan!)  As others have noted (both here and elsewhere), M$ seems to have a good release in regards to their OS's only on the odd-numbered ones, so make of that what you will.

Even numbered Star Trek movies, Odd numbered Microsoft OS's... Fortune smiles on these for it is Just the Way of Things.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

A former Microsoft employee is trying to fix Windows 8.

Apparently the OS has been designed with touch screens as the primary focus. I wonder if our previewer was aware of that?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/14/former-microsoft-employee-is-fixing-windows-8/

Shelldrake

Quote from: LongBlade on March 14, 2012, 07:51:53 PM
A former Microsoft employee is trying to fix Windows 8.

Apparently the OS has been designed with touch screens as the primary focus. I wonder if our previewer was aware of that?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/14/former-microsoft-employee-is-fixing-windows-8/

That was one of his major issues...that mouse and keyboard functionality seemed to be an afterthought with the focus on touch screen functionality.

Dean Edell

LongBlade

Hmmm. I wonder if the iPad scares them much?  :o

LongBlade

Here's a positive take on Win 8

QuoteThe stunning "Metro" interface just begs you to touch and interact with it. Beautifully designed apps, ultra-simple navigation, and instinctive commands make it hard to believe Metro came from the same company that brought us Windows Vista. Interactive, "live" tiles and an intuitive app store simplify the PC. Windows 8 is as easy to use as the iPad.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/16/technology/windows-8/index.htm

LongBlade

And now we know why Microsoft is pushing Win8 to the touchscreen. According to Apple's CEO, tablets will outsell PCs in three years.

QuoteThe market for tablet computers is set to explode, even surpassing the PC market itself, Apple CEO Tim Cook said on Monday.

"The tablet market will eventually surpass the PC market ... it's just a question of when," Cook said in a conference call announcing Apple's plans to issue dividends and initiate a stock buyback with its massive $97 billion cash balance.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/03/19/tablets-to-outsell-computers-in-3-years-apple-ceo-says/#ixzz1pbC2xrC8

Keunert

OS X is the way to go, believe me lads. no flaws no bullshit, just flowers and lovemobiles.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

LongBlade

Quote from: Keunert on March 19, 2012, 05:30:59 PM
OS X is the way to go, believe me lads. no flaws no bullshit, just flowers and lovemobiles.

Silly me - I was expecting you to endorse Kobald.