[closed] Dominions 4 inaugural game (let's make this massive!)

Started by Yskonyn, July 27, 2013, 12:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Yay, downloaded it.
Was a bit of a chore to find my cd key, cause I cannot find that page on the Desura website... Luckily there is a direct link in your initiate purchase confirmation email if anyone wonders...

Caelum are now normal sized 3 beings! :D /happydance
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

For anyone else's reference:

To find your serial key, at least in the Desura client, first select the Blue diamond button in the top left and click on History>Purchases or something similarly worded.  Then click on the date which you purchased Dom4 (the games you bought that day should be listed next to it) and then click on the work "Key" next to the Dom4 listing.  You'll get a pop-up with a button to "generate key" so click that if it's your first time getting one.  Otherwise it should display the one you were assigned. 

Desura should really have a more direct link to the a serial keys page.  I don't think they do a lot of feature upgrades to their client, but a website adjustment would be nice.

Yskonyn

Thanks for the pointer Nef!
I do not use the client, so I would really appreciate a website update there!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

parone

Yskonyn

Nefaro

Quote from: parone on September 03, 2013, 04:48:08 AM
do u have to preorder to get the beta?

It's more like a Beta buy-in, at this point.  I think you can purchase it at Desura, and get the beta build right now. 

I've been surprised by just how much stuff has been tweaked, added, or wotnot.  When people were likening Dom4 to an expansion pack for Dom3, it made me think there wouldn't be all that much different.  Maybe just a couple additions and a handful of adjustments.  But it looks as if nearly everything had some kind of tweak or addition, mostly for balance which it really needed.   

I wouldn't think it in beta if it wasn't for the rare placeholder.

Yskonyn

Yes I am just *facepalming* at people now who keep insisting Dom 4 will just be a glorified patch for Dom 3.
They obviously haven't a clue and certainly did not play the beta.

To expect it to be a vastly different game is another thing and frankly, plain silly.
The game is just called Dominions. Like software of the old days it just progresses in version number and we're on the verge of getting v4.0. Same game, just the next version of it. If you (in the general sense) call this merely a patch, then so be it. I do not.

But indeed, I agree wholeheartedly, Nefaro! The spread of commander units within the factions is much better. They have a much clearer function now and have pretty interesting pro's and con's.
Unit cost and gear has been tweaked for many, if not all, units.
It looks like a good hard thought has been made about balance and cleaning up spells.

There are a few powerplayers who have some valuable input over at Desura and some are not happy with certain changes, but Kris is talking to them so we'll see what happens. With the way things are looking I think its going to be a darn fine game!

Wingedflamez

I've Ben happy with what I've seen so far. From what I heard i thought it was just a patched version of dom3. But having seen it, they definitely have improved things. I like the fact that so much more information is at your finger tips instead of being required to dig through menus.

One thing I'm.not happy about is the change to the mid age shinyu spell "ghost general" they increased the cost and pushed it deeper down the track. I haven't had a chance to test summon, but did they increase the power as well?  The big thing was that it was like summoning a bane, but easier and cheaper to go with shinyu whole summon thing, if it is the same unit but with those changes it wouldn't be worth it.

Yskonyn

For many issues like you mentioned above, I've seen input from Kris.
You just need to lay the puzzle differently, is the message I get from him. Sure, tactics might need adapting and old ways don't work, but things that have been changed have not just been changed for no reason.

Wingedflamez

Ok. I feel like a goon now. It's been so long since I actually looked at it I forgot. The shuts has always been 1 step up from the bane, and it looks like they boosted the shura more than they modified the bane, and they increased both gem costs, well at least compared to cbm, also havent taken that into account yet, so on that note, I retract my previous statement, for now.

Nefaro

Just one of the many adjustments.. ye olde Skele Spam combat spell also got moved up a level or two.  ;D  Looks like a good amount of such adjustments were done.  I say well done!

happyfungi

Yskonyn

I've heard a great idea on the Three Moves Ahead podcast; teamplay.
What do you guys say we try something new and go for team vs team? 3vs3vs3 for example? We could even try the Disciples gameplay this way! Let me know.

Two mere days till release!