Wireless Extender - Suggestions?

Started by Gusington, October 19, 2013, 07:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on October 21, 2013, 07:31:51 PM
Eyebiter also suggested Cat.5 cable but I would have to drill through several plaster walls and I don't want to be murdered by The Colonel.

Run it right through the hallway and down the stairs
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

It would have to run from the second floor down to the first then down to the basement. Not practical.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

eyebiter

Staggerwing

I have a set of Powerline outlet extenders. They work pretty well so I suggest getting two of the same brand of whatever you choose. Places like Newegg and Tiger Direct frequently have sets of two for sale so you don't have to worry about incompatibility. As Eyebiter said, one of the things you have to watch out for is how your house is wired. You may have to use the connector in a different room and run a piece of CAT5/6 to your computer or do the same with the extender by the router. Or maybe not and all will be gravy. Try it and if they don't work send them back or save them for a future use back in your own home (maybe bring internet to the garage?)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

The repeater is on its way. Right now I am sitting under the room with the router on my ancient laptop using wireless and I have an 'excellent' connection. The room I am sitting in is also directly above my gaming desktop. So I am hoping that the repeater gives my gaming desktop that extra oomph to lift its signal above 'poor - fair' to 'excellent' like the laptop.

In my own house the wireless signal is strong everywhere and I didn't need a repeater. My house is relatively new construction (1990) while my in laws house is not (1950).

I bet the plaster walls here have a lot to do with the issue.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

I'm sure the lead paint isn't helping.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

I nibbled on it a bit and it tasted a bit lead-laden, you could be on to something.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

For closure for anyone who cares: my Amped repeater is up and running and there is now an 'excellent' connection in my bunker and everywhere else in this house. Mother in law is happy...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Now just remember to keep your monitor pointed away from the door so you can do a fast recover if they walk in on you while you peruse the underbelly of the internet...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Gusington

There is a long staircase that leads down to my temporary lair so I will hear anyone coming first in time to hide my...stuff.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on October 28, 2013, 08:45:23 PM
There is a long staircase that leads down to my temporary lair so I will hear anyone coming first in time to hide my...stuff.

I was only referring to what was on the screen, not what you were doing about it...  :D

Gusington

Well you really wouldn't have one without the other, would you?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd