Predictions Sure To Go Wrong

Started by bayonetbrant, December 04, 2013, 10:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/the-internet-bah-1995-512627689

From 1995
QuoteEvery voice can be heard cheaply and instantly [on the Internet]. The result? Every voice is heard. The cacophany more closely resembles citizens band radio, complete with handles, harrasment, and anonymous threats. When most everyone shouts, few listen.
. . . Nicholas Negroponte, director of the MIT Media Lab, predicts that we'll soon buy books and newspapers straight over the Intenet. Uh, sure.

These expensive toys are difficult to use in classrooms and require extensive teacher training. Sure, kids love videogames—but think of your own experience: can you recall even one educational filmstrip of decades past?

We're promised instant catalog shopping—just point and click for great deals. We'll order airline tickets over the network, make restaurant reservations and negotiate sales contracts. Stores will become obselete. So how come my local mall does more business in an afternoon than the entire Internet handles in a month? Even if there were a trustworthy way to send money over the Internet—which there isn't—the network is missing a most essential ingredient of capitalism: salespeople.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

skeptical.platypus

The Internets: disproving the prediction that 100 monkeys typing gibberish will eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare, every day.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

BanzaiCat

Hindsight is an amazing thing. Just think if any of us had the thought to start up a Yahoo, or a Google, or a YouTube...or to at least claim those URLs, back in the day...

I'm beginning to think the technology curve is flattening out. Advances from the beginning of the 20th century to the latter part of the 20th century are pretty amazing; I was always in awe of old timers born around 1900 whom grew up from the horse-and-buggy era and live to see the Space Shuttle. Now, THAT is awe-inspiring.

For me, technology improvement has basically just been newer/better versions of things that already existed, not new and amazing things. With a few exceptions, I'm sure, but think about it. Rotary phone > Button phone > Boxy car phone > Cumbersome flip phone > Better flip phone > Smart phone > etc. It's still a phone. Granted, a phone you can play Carcassonne on, but it's a phone, not a quantum field time traveling device or an AI Cortana or anything.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

A Windows phone. Should have stuck with the 5, dammit.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 05, 2013, 01:55:00 PM
Hindsight is an amazing thing. Just think if any of us had the thought to start up a Yahoo, or a Google, or a YouTube...or to at least claim those URLs, back in the day...

I'm beginning to think the technology curve is flattening out. Advances from the beginning of the 20th century to the latter part of the 20th century are pretty amazing; I was always in awe of old timers born around 1900 whom grew up from the horse-and-buggy era and live to see the Space Shuttle. Now, THAT is awe-inspiring.

For me, technology improvement has basically just been newer/better versions of things that already existed, not new and amazing things. With a few exceptions, I'm sure, but think about it. Rotary phone > Button phone > Boxy car phone > Cumbersome flip phone > Better flip phone > Smart phone > etc. It's still a phone. Granted, a phone you can play Carcassonne on, but it's a phone, not a quantum field time traveling device or an AI Cortana or anything.

Big Data & the Cloud. It's going to be the next step toward the Datastream Age.

Quantum Physics -- we've already teleported data across a room. Quantum computers are coming.

We've already broken the foot long sandwich barrier -- can 18 inches be next. (Yeah, to your point, that's still a sandwich. Now, a sandwich we could play Carcassonne on. . . )

We have no idea what's coming next. I think we're on the slow end of a parabolic curve.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.