.exe using up 50% of CPU

Started by MetalDog, December 12, 2013, 08:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

My computer is moving slowly.  So, I open the Task Manager and look at Processes.  There is something called 'plugin-container.exe' and it is using over 700,000 KB.  I have no idea what that is and how to get rid of it or even if I should.  Help!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Now it's less than 50,000 KB.  Did a quick scan with Advanced Care free.  Seems to have settled things down.

mirth

According to the Goog, it's a Firefox process for plugins. Firefox is notorious for memory leakage, particularly for anything plugin related. I usually have to kill FF through Task Manager/Activity monitor after several hours of continuous use. Memory use steadily climbs until it's using 750MB or more. The memory problems for FF seem to be worse on Mac than Windows in my experience, but it's a hog on either OS.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

Thank you, sir.  I am such a noob at this stuff.  I am dreading moving from XP to something from the new century ;)

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on December 12, 2013, 09:06:04 PM
Thank you, sir.  I am such a noob at this stuff.  I am dreading moving from XP to something from the new century ;)

Win7 is a very good OS. We use it at work and I started using it for home use recently. It's similar enough to XP in feel that you shouldn't have difficulty transitioning. Win 7 is what Vista should have been.  I have zero experience with Win 8, so I'm of no use to you there.

I loved XP, especially from Service Pack 2 on.  Microsoft did a helluva a job supporting it for this long.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MetalDog

Thanks for the feedback on 7.  Quick question, being all noobish like I am, would it be easier, do you think, for me to just install 7 on my current machine or go get a new computer with 7 installed?  I hear people in the know talking about partitioning their HD for different OS's.  Is it difficult?  Shoot, is it useful?!

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on December 12, 2013, 09:45:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback on 7.  Quick question, being all noobish like I am, would it be easier, do you think, for me to just install 7 on my current machine or go get a new computer with 7 installed?  I hear people in the know talking about partitioning their HD for different OS's.  Is it difficult?  Shoot, is it useful?!

Depends on your current machine, but if it's an XP machine I'm guessing you're due for new hardware too. Creating a new partition isn't difficult, again I think it would be more of a concern about your current hardware specs and the size of the HD.

MetalDog

Thanks, mirth!  Another quick question, buy one built or build your own?

GDS_Starfury

if you take the time to research then always build your own and by the parts locally so you can take them back that day if they go tits up.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MetalDog

Relatively easy or hard?  I am not stupid, just inexperienced.  Putting it together myself appeals to me.

GDS_Starfury

it pretty easy in my opinion.  the biggest hang up might be connecting all the case wires to the motherboard but the MB will have the needed diagrams.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

MetalDog

GDS_Starfury

and getting a good layer of thermal grease between the cpu and cooling tower.  but lets be honest here.
at this point all Grogs should know how to apply grease.

MetalDog

Liberally?  Straight from the tube?  By hand?

GDS_Starfury

for the cpu/cooler just watch some google vids.  its pretty easy.