Joystick Recomendations

Started by Con, March 31, 2012, 02:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

Hi Guys

I got an invite to test alpha for world of planes and having tried the mouse keyboard combo I have decided the way to go is with a joystick.

I got rid of my Logitech Wingman years ago after I drifted (or more accurately spun and crashed) out of playing Microsoft Fighter combat simulator and the earlier IL-2 games. 

So now I am in the market for a decent but not over the top joystick.  I have read that Force Feedback is a good feature but I am not looking to replicate a full blown flight deck (such as separate rudder and thrust controls etc).  I am hoping that World of Planes will lead me back into flight simming but in any case I dont want to spend a boat load of money for something that might not pan out (the game and my time to invest in it).  I was hoping to stay under $100.

Any recommendations from those flight sim junkies out there?

Thanks
Con
PS I have a glider pilot license so I have a fair amount of real time flying experience so anything that can help replicate that "feel" of being in the air is a plus.

bob48

The Saitek stuff is pretty good, although its not all that cheap. I use an X45 combo which I like a lot, although the models that have relaced it are quite expensive.

I have been thinking about the Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant which you can pick up as a package, and is worth shopping around for.

I have not tried any with force feedback myself, so cannot comment on them, but I would recomend one that has a rudder rocker rather than a twist-grip for a better flying experience.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DoctorQuest

I use CH products and have for years. They may go outside your budget, though. I use my constantly and have had no problems whatsoever.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

OJsDad

I just order a CH Fighterstick USB from Amazon.  Has good reviews and is priced at $106.  Like you, I haven't had a flight stick in years.  I havent got it yet, so cannot speak to it.  I finally got one after trying to play the new Wing Commander game, but I also have Flight Simulator X and Combat Flight Simulator3, and  you'r right, you cannot play those with mouse and keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006B84X/ref=pe_175190_21431760_cs_sce_dp_1
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.