OS X upgrade- Mountain Lion to Mavericks question

Started by Staggerwing, March 09, 2014, 09:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I know some of you with Macs have recently upgraded your OSX (Mirth for 1, iirc) and I want to ask you guys if I need to worry about any particular issues before I install it over my 10.8. The iMac I'm putting it on is brand new (to me anyway- it's a 2012 refurb) so I don't have any important data on it besides some Steam games. The rest of the stuff I plan to bring over from my old rig later. I need to do the upgrade so I can install my free copies of the iWorks apps (esp Numbers).
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

I haven't had any issues and I'm on 10.9.2 on a 2011 MacBook Air
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

I don't think you'll have problems. My Mavericks install got borked the first time, but I think there was underlying issue with my machine that caused that. Just make sure you make a new Time Machine backup first. I didn't and that was the painful part.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Thanks for the replies, guys.  :)

I didn't have to worry about backups since this rig is fresh out of the brown cardboard referb box.(Why referb? It was cheaper and, believe it or not, the 2012 iMacs had better gfx cards than the current gen.) I went ahead and upgraded. My install hung up at 41%. I waited about an hour just in case, then did a hard reboot. Installer came up again, restarted the upgrade, and sailed all the way to the end. Now to see what the fuss is all about.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

I only did the upgrade to run newer games. I was quite happy with Mountain Lion otherwise. I still haven't  figured out all the nuances of Mavericks. Lately I've been doing everything in Win 7.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Yeah, BootCamp and Parallels will be next. That's why I wanted the better gfx card. I'm not looking to play bleeding edge games but I'd like things like Combat MissionX2 and flight sims to be smooth. There are also some nice Steam games that give you both OSX and Win versions with one purchase such as Bioshock Infinite and Sir, You are being Hunted that I'm looking forward to play.