New rig. Windows 7 or 8?

Started by MetalDog, March 13, 2014, 07:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

I am getting a new computer.  I would like to solicit the opinions of you knowledgeable fellas about which version of Windows is better at this moment, 7 or 8?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

undercovergeek

I'm happy with 7 - it's the last of it's type before it went along weird with 8 - I can't fathom 8 at all where as for me 7 is xp triple refined

MetalDog

Awesome, geek!  I dig XP, too.  Which is why the new computer.  I am running XP and they are going to quit supporting it, so, I need a new OS and thought I would just go the whole way and get a new computer.  :)

GDS_Starfury

I had XP on the recently dead pc and my experiences with 8 have sucked.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

I also vote for Windows 7. I've had windows 7 Pro (comes with XP Mode) for 2-3 years now and love it. Biggest problem I had was I had to buy a USB cable for my old printer. Is this a custom-built rig? Didn't think you could still get Windows 7 on new pre-built PCs.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

MetalDog

Quote from: steve58 on March 13, 2014, 07:40:31 PM
I also vote for Windows 7. I've had windows 7 Pro (comes with XP Mode) for 2-3 years now and love it. Biggest problem I had was I had to buy a USB cable for my old printer. Is this a custom-built rig? Didn't think you could still get Windows 7 on new pre-built PCs.

Just goes to show, I had no idea this was an issue.  Was going to go to Office Depot and look them over.  Didn't even occur to me that I would be stuck with 8 :(

Greybriar

If I were to buy a new PC, it would have Windows 7 as its OS. I could be wrong and Windows 8 might be the way to go, but I don't have a touchscreen monitor and I don't intend to get one.

I've had good luck with Windows 7 Home Edition and you can still buy the OEM for it (I almost bought one a couple of weeks back for my next PC when it was 20% off, but now it's back up to $100).

There are still Windows 7 PCs for sale so don't give up if you don't find one that you like right away.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

GDS_Starfury

get whatever current OS its easiest to delete you browser history.  ;)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Bison

What's the price range Metal?  Lot's of great deals out there on a rig that might have better components and cheaper than a Office Depot kit.

I have Windows 7, but know plenty of folks running 8 with no issues.

TheCommandTent

I have Windows 7 on my desktop and Windows 8 on my laptop.  I've never had an issue with either of them but I prefer 7 over 8.  Windows 8 would make more sense to me if I actually had a touch screen laptop as its interface just takes some getting use to compared to 7.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Mr. Bigglesworth

7 64 bit is better by far.

The only thing 8 has going for it is more options in windows firewall. Whichever way you go, make sure in advanced firewall that all incoming connections are blocked. This should be blank, there is no reason for anything to have default access to enter your PC. The default has many programs having access to the system. You also want to kill most outgoing connections leaving only the stuff you use plus what windows needs to get on the internet.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MetalDog

If I go 8 I'll be sure to pick your brain, Biggs.  I am a noob at all that stuff considering I've been on a computer almost every day for the last twelve or fourteen years. 

MIGMaster

I'm using 8 and like it just as well as XP - once you get used to the interface it's a great OS. I find Vista and 7 ok, but I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

eyebiter

Kushan

I like windows 8. I've noticed a small but noticeable performance difference between it and windows 7. It's not hard to set it to boot right to desktop and never use the metro UI.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play