Main Menu

HP Reverb G2

Started by Yskonyn, October 18, 2020, 06:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on November 11, 2020, 11:23:14 AM
JH, how do you like your Reverb controllers? I think I'm within a few weeks of getting a new system with the latest 300xxx graphics card. That should be able to play Reverb games in max resolution. The next step will probably be a Reverb 2.

I don't care for them and never use them. I only use the Reverb for seated, flight based gaming and therefore never use the VR controllers. For roomscale or anything requiring VR controllers, I'm using the Rift-S or Quest 2. The touch controllers are more comfortable than than the Reverb G1 controllers, which are much more like wands similar to the original HTC Vive.

Of course, the Index controllers are supposedly the best on the market now. I haven't used them, but certainly considered getting an Index just for the controller experience.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

G2 arrived just now! No time to unbox yet, but I am pleased it has arrived!  :bd:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Skoop

Heard there's a ton of performance issues with reverb g2 and dcs which I was expecting cause of the higher res.  Still probably going join the club and make this my Christmas gift to myself.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 09, 2020, 08:50:58 AM
G2 arrived just now! No time to unbox yet, but I am pleased it has arrived!  :bd:

:dreamer: :notworthy:

Expect your full report on my desk in the morning.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Not a full report yet, but:

Headset itself is very light, fits very well on my head and doesn't leave any openings around my nose to peek at the desk, but the tracking camera's on the headset can be used in 'flashlight' mode to look around in the room in a monochrome/infrared kind of fashion. Quite clever and pretty usable.
This also works during gaming.

Clarity is out of this world! No screendoor effect and truely a high definition experience, especially when coming from the Rift CV1 like I did.
Near and far, everything is rendered sharply and with a fidelity that rivals looking at a regular monitor.
Due to the lenses there still is a sweetspot for clarity where towards the rims things get more blurry, but its much much better than my previous headset.
No more fiddling with the position of it on your head all the time to get a clear picture.

Controllers are feeling cheaper than the Oculus Touch. They, too, are very lightweight and the buttons feel more 'plastic-y' than the Touch. They also do not have per-finger sensitivity where you can see in the VR world on which buttons you place your finger. That's a bummer.
Tracking seems fine from the short time I played, even in games like Robo Recall, but that might be premature, need more game time.

Performance on my GTX1080 on default settings is very good in all games except DCS.
In DCS it seems that the dynamic shadows and deferred lighting are unoptimized taxing features. Once I disable these performance returns to normal but you obviously loose quite a bit of visual fidelity.

Elite runs beautifully in Ultra and truely is awe inspiring! As does IL-2 BoX.

More games will be tested soon.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Wow....didn't realize you were transitioning from a CV1. Thought you had the G1, which also has the torch, or flashlight feature. That's a Windows mixed reality thing.

Anyway, sounds really good so far. I'm hopeful that my 2080ti will run DCS well with the G2.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

If I had the G1 I don't think I would have upgraded at all. But yeah, the difference is pretty huge from where I come from. :D

I've also read that there are cool 3rd party apps to enable desktop overlays, youtube window overlays and kneeboards in VR games like Elite and DCS. Have to look into that, cause I need to work on information management inside VR now that I am definitely going to fly DCS multiplayer and Elite exclusively in VR.

Any tips would be welcome.

I can't stress enough how impressed I am with the video quality of the G2! The sharpness also helps with keeping nausea under control. I suffer from it much less than I did on the Rift.

Jarhead0331

I was told mine was supposed to ship yesterday, but it's doesn't seem to have. My order status did change from backordered to open though, so that's some positive sign I suppose.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Good news and bad news...

Good news, is my unit shipped!

Bad news is that it's scheduled for delivery on Wednesday, right around the time we are also scheduled to get about a foot and a half of snow. Good times.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 15, 2020, 06:07:52 AM
Good news and bad news...

Good news, is my unit shipped!

Bad news is that it's scheduled for delivery on Wednesday, right around the time we are also scheduled to get about a foot and a half of snow. Good times.

Then I hope they don't leave it at your front door right before it starts and you're not home. 😂

Jarhead0331

My G2 arrived today. She is hooked up and seems to be working well. The image quality is amazing. Definitely improved from the G1 and leagues better than the Rift-S.  However, I am getting some chop and micro studders in DCS.

Yskonyn, how have you configured your G2 settings and DCS graphics settings to get the best frame rates?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Yeah DCS seems to be the obnoxious child here.

I have disabled Cockpit Global Lighting and have set terrain textures to flat. This seemed to help initially, but after more extensive testing I still get choppyness in DCS at times. The frustrating thing is that this is the only sim that gives me problems.

I have pushed the question to my wingmates. Several have the G2 as well. Keep you posted.

Jarhead0331

Thank you. Glad I ain't the only one.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/254858-bignewys-reverb-g2-settings-for-high-frame-rate/

Eagle Dynamics community manager BIGNEWY posted a thread today and then shared it around the community with detailed specs of his PC and how he had configured it for best performance with the HP Reverb G2. His configuration is running at 90 fps in VR although it does drop to 45 fps in busy multiplayer scenarios. Those are very good numbers though they are coming from a powerful system. Nonetheless, others with similarly powerful systems are struggling to get the same numbers so power is one thing but software configuration is another.

Yskonyn

Great find, thanks.

I would not go for high performance texture filtering in Nvidia CP however. Not ever. It disables optimizations to gain a few frames but seriously fucks with transparency in many games.
And he also disables terrain shadows completely.
Those two are serious compromises for quality of picture and I doubt this will help getting lots of frames or reduce stuttering.

The Steam resolution slider, however, is interesting. Debated is that default setting is already 140% super sampling. That's quite hefty.
So that alone might cause the stutters. Need to test.

Still, DCS itself is to blame mostly; its a fairly unoptimized piece of software. We desperately need the Vulkan API update.