Combat Mission: Red Thunder - Fire and Rubble

Started by al_infierno, February 22, 2020, 11:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellfish6

I like the Graviteam games, but yeah, that UI is not intuitive. You can give a lot more specific commands than the CM series, but I'm constantly forgetting how to do basic things like call for artillery. Come to think of it, I don't even remember if you can do that except for onboard mortars?

They made a game about the South Africa border war, though, so I'm thankful for that. And Steel Armor: Blaze of War is a good tank game, even with the same goofy UI as the wargames.

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever see the CM series explore lesser known conflicts than the big three of WWII (West/East/Italy) and the recent foray into modern stuff. Probably no 1940s campaign, Arab-Israeli war stuff, Vietnam, Pacific WWII or Korea. Kind of a bummer.

Sir Slash

And you can play, 'Real-Time' or, 'Turned-Based' as you prefer. Nobody does tactical combat better though, this game will kick your ass without even pretending to be sorry about it. Lots of great mods and user-made scenarios too. Give it a shot Gus. Think of it as a Grogs Right of Manhood.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

demjansk1942

Graviteam would be spectacular if it had a few tutorials to guide you through a bunch of battles.  Sort of the way Steel Division did the tutorial.  Battlefront games are easy but then again I started with cmbo and Cmbb.  I will eventually buy all of the Graviteam games but will wait for a fanatical sale.

Gusington

Grog Mitzvah?

I'll have to visit the site when The Wife is not around.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: hellfish6 on March 09, 2020, 05:30:57 PM
Unfortunately, I doubt we'll ever see the CM series explore lesser known conflicts than the big three of WWII (West/East/Italy) and the recent foray into modern stuff. Probably no 1940s campaign, Arab-Israeli war stuff, Vietnam, Pacific WWII or Korea. Kind of a bummer.

There is a new, player made, southeast Asia mod for CMSF2 called Heaven and Earth.  Campaign and stand alone scenarios are being created for it.  A few scenarios have been released.     

Elvis

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 09, 2020, 06:34:09 PM
... this game will kick your ass without even pretending to be sorry about it. ......

That is one of the greatest lines I've ever read!!!! I need to consider it as a sig line.

I've gotten better at it since I have been playing much more than ever before for the past year. The thing that I learned that helps the most is patience. Don't press too hard until there is no other choice.....then do a gamey flag rush. :-)

And, as others have mentioned, try the demos. All of them combined are close to a complete game's worth of content. Certainly enough to keep someone busy for a while and give them enough time to see if they can get comfortable with the system.

Toonces

I think you just got Jarhead's attention, MOS!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on March 09, 2020, 10:35:39 PM
I think you just got Jarhead's attention, MOS!

He posted some screens from that mod in the screenshot thread awhile back, and you're right, it definitely got my attention. However, I looked a little more closely at the mod and a lot of the the units were either place holder or stand-ins. The uniforms and equipment were all wrong. Was really immersion breaking for me. Maybe it's progressed since then?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

Combat Mission taught me about myself--- I am NOT a good tactical leader at any level. I go too slow at the start, then too quickly when nothing kills me from across the map, then I take it right in the face. Worse, I absolutely cannot stand losing my little pixeltruppen. Seeing them lying there in their little pools of red crosses makes me feel terribly guilty and reach for the re-start button.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Slash, what it actually taught you is that you tempo of this game is hard to get used to. I have t he same problem. The game is going so slowly and your time starts to tun dry. Then you up the tempo and thats when the enemy hit you.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

Glad I'm not only one with this problem Destraex. I try to be very disciplined when I play. And I have to say, I have won more times than I've lost so it's not a total ass-kick every time. Just when I screw-up.  #:-)

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 10, 2020, 11:31:38 AM
Combat Mission taught me about myself--- I am NOT a good tactical leader at any level.

Don't judge your abilities based on Combat Mission.

The game engine can only handle small maps, which prevent players to actually maneuver their forces.

Most scenarios, I have found, are just a gut punch, up-the-middle- you have no option BUT to take casualties and be put in a bad position. I think it's actually part of the design mechanic to make up for a game engine that is limited in it's ability to handle large maps.

This is the reason that Shock Force & Black Sea will never see my hard drive. Trying to fight modern, near peer battles on 2km maps is knife fighting.

fran

The sentence below describe me in a nutshell when it comes to the Combat Mission series:  ::)  ;D

I have most of the modules for combat mission. I just never get around to playing them.

al_infierno

Quote from: fran on March 13, 2020, 01:41:00 AM

I have most of the modules for combat mission. I just never get around to playing them.

Guilty  :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

Quote from: al_infierno on March 13, 2020, 01:56:07 PM
Quote from: fran on March 13, 2020, 01:41:00 AM

Guilty  :buck2:

For some part of the fun is the installation part  >:D.