Main Menu

BMS 4.34

Started by Toonces, July 06, 2019, 11:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Quote from: Toonces on December 22, 2020, 09:09:28 PM
While the gold standard would be the Falcon 4.0 campaign (or the WoFF campaign for that matter), I would find something like WoX perfectly acceptable.

I want to log on, pick my plane, and have the game plan a mission of which I am just a small part in the larger scheme of things, contained within a bigger picture.  It really shouldn't be that hard.

While I've seen the dynamic missions on MP servers, I'm not a fan of flying MP as a single player.  A virtual squadron is probably the way to go.

I just started a WOFF campaign.  Its February 1916 and I'm flying a Nieuport Scout.  Underarmed, Underpowered, Unreliable, and its single machine gun points 20 degrees to port.  It makes a DH2 look and feel like a P-51.....
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Toonces

If you can hang with it, WoFF is one of the best experiences you will have.  Man alive, it is such a great flight simulator and campaign experience.

If you play solid Iron Man you will find yourself a very sad panda.  You'll go 5, 10, 15 missions and be feeling invincible, and then one simple mistake and you're a flaming wreck.

No ejection seats.  No parachutes.  No second chances if you foul up.

You hit CTRL-E and the game laughs at you.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tripoli

Quote from: Toonces on December 24, 2020, 12:49:40 AM
If you can hang with it, WoFF is one of the best experiences you will have.  Man alive, it is such a great flight simulator and campaign experience.

If you play solid Iron Man you will find yourself a very sad panda.  You'll go 5, 10, 15 missions and be feeling invincible, and then one simple mistake and you're a flaming wreck.

No ejection seats.  No parachutes.  No second chances if you foul up.

You hit CTRL-E and the game laughs at you.

I've played a couple of WOFF campaigns.  You are right that they are epic.  It is a wonderful game.  There may be better WWI  flight sims, but there isn't a better campaign than WOFF.  Unfortunately, I suck at virtual flying.  Consequentially, I have a lot of experience as a flaming wreck. Or a spinning wreck. Sometimes I completely cut out the German middleman in my demise, opting to kill myself via terminal prang on landing.   I got lost on my first mission yesterday, and couldn't find my own aerodrome.  Had to land and ask for  directions. :-[
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Jarhead0331

FWIW, version 4.36 was just released. I hear version 4.37 might include VR...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

If they get VR sorted I think that will punch a big dent into DCS's userbase.
BMS remains the king of 'strategic combat flight simulation' and as long as DCS doesn't come with the dynamic campaign the guys over at Benchmark Sims will sit on roses.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Skoop

Have you guys tried the liberation campaign app ?  It's pretty much everything in a bms campaign, just not packaged in side dcs...so you have to run it 3rd party.  I'd rather they do work on improving the AI than fiddling with a dynamic campaign.  The AI is looking pretty long in the tooth these days and the borg cheats it gets has been irritating alot of people and streamers. 

Having said all that, would be interesting to give bms a whirl after so much time in dcs f16.  I feel like I know the aircraft so much more now than I ever did flying it in bms.   

Also, I've come across some awesome mods for dcs lately that have automated some things.  There's a scratch pad mod that works for all modules that alows you to capture waypoints from the f10 map with one click and allow you to punch it in to the ufc.

There's also a new f16 dtc mod that functions as a real dtc that saves so much hassle of setting up your f16 before missions.  Rumor has it that the mod will soon extend to the f18.

So in theory, with mods, you could get the same experience in dcs.

Yskonyn

I have tried DCS Liberation. Kudos to the guys who made it!
But like you say; the AI is the weakest link here.

In BMS the air and ground war presents a much more believable environment, the comms chatter is much more immersive and the ATC/AWACS interaction is much more realistic.

In multiplayer I absolutely adore DCS, but BMS is by far the superior singleplayer sim.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

It's official. The next release, 4.3.7, will be VR ready.

Simply amazing for a sim that is what, 25 years old!? I just don't know how they do it...

https://www.falcon-bms.com/news/happy-holidays-and-merry-xmas-2022/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

VR in BMS might be a thing.  Just hearing from forums and reddits, dcs vr people claim 2.8 killed dcs vr for them, so vr BMS might hold them over in the mean time while the next dcs update sorts out vr.

Sigwolf

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on December 25, 2022, 02:47:16 PM
VR in BMS might be a thing.  Just hearing from forums and reddits, dcs vr people claim 2.8 killed dcs vr for them, so vr BMS might hold them over in the mean time while the next dcs update sorts out vr.

There is nothing wrong with DCS VR in 2.8. I'm getting better performance than ever before on 3 different rigs.

DCS VR has always been finicky. Why an update helps some while hurting others will always be a mystery.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

I feel like much of the 2.8 dcs vr whining is from people that were barely in the required specs category for dcs vr, then got pushed out from the performance hit of moving clouds and other stuff.  It's like if your going to spend the money on vr your going to spend the money on having a beefy system to run it.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on December 25, 2022, 08:25:49 PM
I feel like much of the 2.8 dcs vr whining is from people that were barely in the required specs category for dcs vr, then got pushed out from the performance hit of moving clouds and other stuff.  It's like if your going to spend the money on vr your going to spend the money on having a beefy system to run it.

That's true, but that is part of what is so crazy (and frustrating) about VR in DCS. You can spend thousands and thousands of dollars on new hardware and still only see a very nominal increase in performance. It is so poorly optimized for VR that sometimes even really strong components don't make much of a difference. Making matters more frustrating is that various hardware combinations can create problems or bottlenecks and software updates or conflicts from not only dcs, but windows, nvidia, Radeon, etc. can also upset a very delicate balance too. I think current gen cpus and gpus have largely conquered the problem, but not everyone can afford a 13th gen cpu and a 4090 gpu and for some, the increase in performance isn't worth the money.

For me though, I'm very happy with the detail and frames my new rig is giving me with my varjo aero. It's coming close to pancake detail and clarity!

In any event, I dont think BMS is going to dethrone DCS, but I am really looking forward to what they've accomplished and to what they have planned for the future.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 25, 2022, 10:10:55 PM
Quote from: Skoop on December 25, 2022, 08:25:49 PM

That's true, but that is part of what is so crazy (and frustrating) about VR in DCS. You can spend thousands and thousands of dollars on new hardware and still only see a very nominal increase in performance. It is so poorly optimized for VR that sometimes even really strong components don't make much of a difference. Making matters more frustrating is that various hardware combinations can create problems or bottlenecks and software updates or conflicts from not only dcs, but windows, nvidia, Radeon, etc. can also upset a very delicate balance too. I think current gen cpus and gpus have largely conquered the problem, but not everyone can afford a 13th gen cpu and a 4090 gpu and for some, the increase in performance isn't worth the money.

For me though, I'm very happy with the detail and frames my new rig is giving me with my varjo aero. It's coming close to pancake detail and clarity!

In any event, I dont think BMS is going to dethrone DCS, but I am really looking forward to what they've accomplished and to what they have planned for the future.

Same for me, I'm getting amazing performance with my Reverb G2 in DCS with ny new PC. It's one of those things where there's really no hardware on the planet that will let you always max out VR settings in DCS, and it's really easy to give yourself bad performance if you have one bad setting (e.g. supersampling) or one suboptimal piece of hardware ("I bought an RTX 3090, why don't I get 300 fps with my 2 GB of RAM?" In fact anecdotally I found bumping my RAM from 16 to 64 GB had a vastly greater impact on VR than upgrading my GPU). But it is in fact possible to get amazing VR performance from DCS in VR if you spend the time to carefully configure both your hardware and software - and it does take real time and effort - and when you get it the result is like no other groggy gaming experience you'll ever have.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on December 26, 2022, 03:48:34 AM
- and when you get it the result is like no other groggy gaming experience you'll ever have.

This. This right here. It's why we spend all the money, time and effort and in the end, it is entirely worth it!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog