The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

That's interesting regarding the maps.  I've mostly heard the opposite from the group I play with.  They liked the fact that the RO1 maps offered up a lot more variety and had more open spaces.  The general consensus was that the maps in RO2 suffered from a lack of variety.  They're almost all focused on urban combat in Stalingrad, so the battles generally revolve around a few choke points with most of the fighting either up close where SMGs rule, or long range camping and sniping/machine gunning.

I have been on a bit of an RO2 kick recently.  I think it's a pretty decent game but it really does need a wider variety of maps and the inclusion of more vehicles.   Iron Front 1944's online play is quite good, but the pumpkinhead bug puts Soviet players at a huge disadvantage.

Kushan

Gamersgate has Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion for 19.99 (50%) off for the next 12 hours.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 19, 2012, 02:48:36 PM
That's interesting regarding the maps.  I've mostly heard the opposite from the group I play with.  They liked the fact that the RO1 maps offered up a lot more variety and had more open spaces.  The general consensus was that the maps in RO2 suffered from a lack of variety.  They're almost all focused on urban combat in Stalingrad, so the battles generally revolve around a few choke points with most of the fighting either up close where SMGs rule, or long range camping and sniping/machine gunning.

I have been on a bit of an RO2 kick recently.  I think it's a pretty decent game but it really does need a wider variety of maps and the inclusion of more vehicles.   Iron Front 1944's online play is quite good, but the pumpkinhead bug puts Soviet players at a huge disadvantage.

Hey, the map comment is me after spending no more than about an hour with the game. I could be off. That was just a gut check after not really falling in love with it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

tgb

Staggerwing

Quote from: Tuna on November 19, 2012, 12:28:07 PM
RO. 1 has a great mod that comes with it, Darkest Hour. It let's you battle on the Western Front.

Isn't Mare Nostrum based on RO as well? North Africa! That was fun to play.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 19, 2012, 07:47:28 PM
RO. 1 has a great mod that comes with it, Darkest Hour. It let's you battle on the Western Front.

Yes. I never played it, but it was part of that whole deal.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Quote from: LongBlade on November 19, 2012, 08:02:25 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on November 19, 2012, 07:47:28 PM

Yes. I never played it, but it was part of that whole deal.

It's one of the mods for the base game.  Of the mods Darkest Hour usually had more players but it's also been a few years since I played frequently.  Not sure how it's changed over the years.

steve58

Gratuitous Tank Battles on sale ($4.79) at Gamersgate for the next 18 hours...

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-GTB/gratuitous-tank-battles

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Quote from: steve58 on November 20, 2012, 08:56:06 AM
Gratuitous Tank Battles on sale ($4.79) at Gamersgate for the next 18 hours...

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-GTB/gratuitous-tank-battles

Isn't that basically a real-time tower defense game? 

I've enjoyed Gratuitous Space Battles, especially after getting the whole set.  I hear the latest update even allows you to control some of your ships during combat albeit only in the one-off games.  I thought it was fine as-is with all the pre-battle planning being the focus, but some were screaming for it.

Wolfe1759

GOG 5 Games for $10 (or about £6.30 in proper money)

If I hadn't already got them I'd be buying from the selection they give you:

Torchlight
Uplink : Hacker Elite
Geneforge 1-5
Defcon
Trine

Not bad for the price of a couple of pints.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Huw the Poo

Yeah not bad at all.  Torchlight is a competent Diablo-em-up, Uplink and Defcon are two fantastic games by Introversion, Trine is a very pretty and fun platformer.  I haven't tried the Geneforge games but I've heard nothing but good things about them.

steve58

Sales are popping out all over...

http://strategyfirst.com/games/2681-strategy-first-thanksgiving-bundle.html

Bundle Includes:

• Achtung Panzer Operation Star
  • Achtung Panzer DLC Sokolovo 43
  • Achtung Panzer DLC Volokonovka 42
  • Victorian Admirals
  • Steel Fury
  • Iron Warriors
  • Ironclads Anthology
At this price I'm tempted to grab this...anyone got any experience buying from SF?  any DRM issues? 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

JasonPratt

Wait, what?

If that's really the same as the Matrix version, Operation Star (much moreso with two DLC) might be worth the price alone even if it has screwy DRM!

Heck, even on Strategy First's own site the three games sell for $50.

(Speaking of, where is Kharkov anyway?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

PanzersEast

It looks like the Steam Autumn sale will be November 21-27, and Winter sale Dec 20-Jan 4.  There was not a mid-week or daily deal so this could be the case for the Autumn sale.... of course nothing is final until it shows up on the Steam page.

PE