Jarhead - Do you have war of rights?

Started by Destraex, December 02, 2017, 09:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

I still haven't bought this game, but this cartoon always makes me wanna check it out  O0

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

2 x servers with 200 players out of 400 now.
One locked one public.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Well it's 50% off atm. So this will be interesting.

P.S. Now I need more civil war series or movies to watch... I have gods and generals and gettysburg. I have seen cold mountain.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on December 23, 2022, 01:48:13 AM

P.S. Now I need more civil war series or movies to watch... I have gods and generals and gettysburg. I have seen cold mountain.

I got it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 23, 2022, 05:05:44 AM

I got it.
You're going to love it Jar. I am keen to hear what you have to say about it once you have played some of the larger battles and have figured out the mechanics.
I really hope you end up with a good commander. Most of the time only experienced guys play that role. So should be aces.
If you get one that lays down a line properly and have a good flag bearer to spawn on to boot, which is not unusual at all. I always pick up the flag if it falls. It's gonna be great fun. During the sale and school holidays though their may be some less savoury types on though I guess. But mostly it's a mature crowd. It's kinda how I imagined the ACW would be with a few lads that were a little "spicy" so to speak. That human element is good for you.
Oh and don't forget their is a refund button if you don't like it.

Groggy

I bought it also. I've been waiting for the winter sale and 15 bucks seems like a good price for the type of game you're getting.

What do you suggest playing the game with: game controller or keyboard and mouse?

Thanks for the feedback and awesome screenshots.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Destraex

Quote from: GroggyGrognard2022 on December 23, 2022, 05:57:42 AM

I bought it also. I've been waiting for the winter sale and 15 bucks seems like a good price for the type of game you're getting.

What do you suggest playing the game with: game controller or keyboard and mouse?

Thanks for the feedback and awesome screenshots.
I had no idea you could play it with a controller. So I have no idea. I do know keyboard and mouse work well.
Remember you have to figure out what US times their are 200 people on, usually on weekends.
Don't go over your hours in case you want to refund it.

Grim.Reaper

Do they have starter clans or how does someone new learn how to play?  Been reading that public servers don't have many players and busy times are outside of USA players time zones.  Also dumb question as I don't play multiplayer games usually, does this require a headset?

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 23, 2022, 06:12:34 AM
Do they have starter clans or how does someone new learn how to play?  Been reading that public servers don't have many players and busy times are outside of USA players time zones.  Also dumb question as I don't play multiplayer games usually, does this require a headset?
You do not need a headset. But a lot of the guys do use voice coms. It's not really needed unless you are an officer. As long as you follow orders and stand in line it's fine. As for USA time zones that the servers are active you may need to consult Jar once he tries it. I will try to note the time I play when it is fairly full. You can see a few posts up the time I was with 200 players in a server. THat's what I call full as it's the most I have played with so far... I mean 230 or so.

Most of the accents I hear are US ones. But yeah I did hear some where that ironically the Europeans were the ones keeping the game alive. On a weekend I'd say times for the US may be midnight US EST but I cannot be sure.

As for starter clans. No. I am guessing a clan will just teach you.
There are "shooting range servers" to try everything out in though.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on December 23, 2022, 06:47:01 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 23, 2022, 06:12:34 AM
You do not need a headset. But a lot of the guys do use voice coms. It's not really needed unless you are an officer. As long as you follow orders and stand in line it's fine. As for USA time zones that the servers are active you may need to consult Jar once he tries it. I will try to note the time I play when it is fairly full. You can see a few posts up the time I was with 200 players in a server.

Most of the accents I hear are US ones. But yeah I did hear some where that ironically the Europeans were the ones keeping the game alive. On a weekend I'd say times for the US may be midnight US EST but I cannot be sure.

As for starter clans. No. I am guessing a clan will just teach you.
There are "shooting range servers" to try everything out in though.

Thanks for the info, good to know about the shooting range server where you can try things out...that might be enough to get me to try it out since would really like to see what this looks like as big Civil War fan.  Quick follow up on the headset question, as I don't anticipate wanting to be an officer.  If you don't use a headset, how do you communicate with others, is there some kind of chat channel?  Or do you just listen to commands and not reply back.  Sorry for stupid questions, simply have no experience in multiplayer games.

Destraex

There is a channel chat, yes. But the officers may not notice much there and it will depend on who is monitoring whether you get a response as their is a lot of junk getting posted their and you can generally only see 4 lines at a time without specifically pressing enter.
But most of the time you do not acknowledge an order, you just do it.
If you do need to talk you hold down N if you have a mic and feel like it.

Grim.Reaper

Destraex

It's currently 7:50pm US EST
179 people on a server.... by midnight it's usually 200 on a weekend.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on December 23, 2022, 05:11:50 PM
It's currently 7:50pm US EST
179 people on a server....

Thanks.  Just curious, did you end up trying the controller and seeing how it works?  I know a lot of people like keyboard stuff, but controller much easier for me.  Looking at the forums, seems like there is a debate as to whether controller works or doesn't.

Destraex

I tried the controller and it definitely works. I was able to move around, reload, aim, fire, kneel, switch to melee mode and a few other things.
I did not test it thoroughly but it "seems" fine by on the defaults to me. I don't see a way to "remap" controls in game though. So I think you would be stuck with the defaults. It seems left thumb stick is to strafe nd right to turn. left fire to bring rifle up and right to fire after aiming.
Still people in chat claiming it does not work though. So maybe it is flakey. I could do most of the normal things with the xbox controller I had though.