Second Front (in Development)

Started by Jo B, August 13, 2019, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

It's worth it even without the random maps. 

The user made scenario list is already massive. 

Kelly's Heroes Scenario already!  And it's damned accurate to the film!  Positive waves Moriarty!  Positive waves!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Groggy

''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Steve Walmsley

Is there anything posted anywhere regarding how to calculate the percentage chance of hitting. I know there are in-game modifiers for long-range, short-range, amount of firepower, etc. and the game shows the final chance to hit, but it would be good to see the numbers behind them.

EDIT - the above question was based on the bootcamp scenario shooting at targets. I've just pulled out the ASL manual and it looks like the game might use a similar mechanics - using firepower modified by range, etc. as a basis for the % chance of certain results. Once I get into actual combat, I will try to work out the numbers behind it and post any results here.

SlagDog

I started through the Tuts last night. I'm really liking it so far. There is a lot going on for this title I think. I'm really interested to see what comes from having the editor out on day one.

This is definitely a game that will stay on my system for a long time.

Great work!

Geezer

So this guy claims the AI is cheating.  I'll be curious to know what you guys think after you have played it a while.  One test doesn't confirm anything in my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NCHsjcSuuY
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

al_infierno

Quote from: Geezer on February 01, 2023, 05:25:34 PMSo this guy claims the AI is cheating.  I'll be curious to know what you guys think after you have played it a while.  One test doesn't confirm anything in my mind.

Yeah, as one of the comments pointed out, I would be more convinced if he did this test a hundred times.  Looks to me like he just got bad RNG.

I get that RNG can be frustrating when you don't see the actual rolls, but that just seems silly.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on February 01, 2023, 05:59:49 PM
Quote from: Geezer on February 01, 2023, 05:25:34 PMSo this guy claims the AI is cheating.  I'll be curious to know what you guys think after you have played it a while.  One test doesn't confirm anything in my mind.

Yeah, as one of the comments pointed out, I would be more convinced if he did this test a hundred times.  Looks to me like he just got bad RNG.

I get that RNG can be frustrating when you don't see the actual rolls, but that just seems silly.

i've found that I get bad RNG quite often, frequently with results that don't seem reasonable or probable. I'm not saying the AI is cheating, but it does make the game frustrating to play at times. No less addictive, mind you.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Thomas Davie

I bought the game yesterday morning and didn't get to it today b/c septic field back-up and forced work to avoid disaster.

Started in in the tutorials, which I was absolutely opposed to at first. Now, I am convinced that it is the right thing to do - there is an awful lot of information to process and it's a different interface to learn. I do not yet know if succeeding at all the tutorials unlocks 'everything'. But I'll save complaining u til I actually know 🇨🇦

Regarding the RNG; unless you are actually willing to store and calculate a lot of data, there is just no way that ome could conclude that cheating is occuring.

Thinking back to when I used to play Squad Leader, there was one person who was preternaturally lucky. He would say a 'magic phrase' which everyone else took to mean oncoming cheating. And would roll snake-eyes. Thus, cheating proved. Of course no one counted the number of times that he said the magic phrase and did not roll snake-eyes. Unless cheating is hard coded into the game, it ain't happening.

I'd still rather have generated battles and campaigns than not. Still want these features, but not at the expense of being implemented first before British, Canadian, Italian, Japanese and etc. Off board artillery, desert, Pacific terrain and so on.

Based on 90 minutes toying around with the tutorials it's easy to see that there is an immense amount of content. More will constantly be added.

Extremely surprised at the low cost. I was expecting 80$+ Cdn and it was only $40 Cdn. The utility and usefulness of unit comparisons in the garage is genius. There's a lot of data. To pull from there to create vehicle stand off ranges.

Well done Jo and thanks playtesters.

Tom

Thomas Davie

Very small sample size consisting of a few dice rolls. If he (or she) repeated this 100 times and then did a distribution plot of results I would be more likely to give weight to this argument.

I've been playing wargames since ~1972 and there was always someone who seemed blessed by the dice gods. If you roll a pair of 6 sided dice 1000 times you should expect ~27 snake-eyes. But then if you get 1000 people to roll 2 six sided dice 1000 times each you'll get a nice (gaussian I think) plot. Some lower or higher results could look funny but aren't.

I don't see any cheating and don't see any reason to think this

It almost makes me want to play some tutorials repeatedly.

Tom

JasonPratt

Yeah, I'd need to see a proper test study plotted over MANY times. How often have people complained in reviews and elsewhere about the dice-rolling in the digital Blood Bowl games being broken? But I've always felt like I'm seeing randomly distributed rolls without special prejudice to the computer. (I say "felt" because, again, I didn't do a certified stat test.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Geezer

Are there different settings for fog of war?  While watching a couple of videos it looked like information about enemy units was being revealed when there was no line of sight to them.  Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Rekim

Quote from: Geezer on February 02, 2023, 07:47:17 AMAre there different settings for fog of war?  While watching a couple of videos it looked like information about enemy units was being revealed when there was no line of sight to them.  Thanks.

I haven't bought/played yet, but as an ASL player I can say that fog of war is a game mechanic where generic concealment counters are used to obfuscate units in particular situations.

Rayfer

Any word yet on removing the 'you must win a scenario to be able to play the next one' nonsense?  If I remember correctly, Matrix did this with "Scourge of War: Gettysburg" when it first released. Modders quickly came out with a fix.

Sir Slash

Is it just me or do all the soldiers look like the Stone Heads from Easter Island?  :shocked:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Geezer

I'm not fond of the locked content but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.  Regarding FoW, I guess the game is leaning more toward ASL than being a simulation using computer capabilities to completely hide unseen units.  That's fine.