Combat Mission: Red Thunder - Fire and Rubble

Started by al_infierno, February 22, 2020, 11:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on January 08, 2023, 08:32:45 AM
Worse than BF's own DRM? That's ... hard to imagine.

Imagine not running at all. So the update dance, as annoying as it may have been, resulted in a game that would start. On one of my systems, the steam versions wouldn't run at all.

Furthermore, the annoying update procedure, as far as I know, is no longer necessary. You can download the fully updated game in a single downloadable file.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ubercat

Do you remember anyone in the last few years complaining about the same things that always plagued me?

That is, install game, play for a while (maybe a few weeks), take a break for a couple months while playing other things, try to start the game again and then have to open a help desk ticket and go through a two day process to be able to play the game again. If I just played CM and nothing else it might not have been a big deal. A guy likes to mix it up, though.

I'd be curious if they ever fixed that, but the way customers were treated on their forums for legitimate complaints coupled with the hassle of jumping through the same hoops every time made me give it up. If it goes to Steam and finally works the way it should have ten years ago I'd probably give it another go, even if I had to repurchase everything. (Though I probably still have my keys around here somewhere)
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on January 08, 2023, 09:45:04 AM
Do you remember anyone in the last few years complaining about the same things that always plagued me?

That is, install game, play for a while (maybe a few weeks), take a break for a couple months while playing other things, try to start the game again and then have to open a help desk ticket and go through a two day process to be able to play the game again. If I just played CM and nothing else it might not have been a big deal. A guy likes to mix it up, though.

I'd be curious if they ever fixed that, but the way customers were treated on their forums for legitimate complaints coupled with the hassle of jumping through the same hoops every time made me give it up. If it goes to Steam and finally works the way it should have ten years ago I'd probably give it another go, even if I had to repurchase everything. (Though I probably still have my keys around here somewhere)

I don't remember, but that certainly stinks. I'm sure for the vast majority of users, Steam is the better option. However, on the rig that I prefer to have my CM installs, for some reason, the steam versions have ceased to load, while the BF versions run fine...so I've switched back. Still looking forward to seeing the whole catalog on steam, though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sigwolf

I got Normandy, SF, and SF2 on Battlefront and had enough issues that I decided I would be getting no more until they had supported Steam versions.  I got BS and CW from them once the Steam versions launched.  I'm just missing the remaining WWII titles (and Afghanistan, which will unfortunately never be on Steam). 

I'd really like to get them, so hopefully they actually manage to release them sometime this year.

demjansk1942

I was a Big fan of Battlefront.  However, I like Steam for the ease of installation.  Plus, the update of the various game engines for each game is just a pai especially when you don't play that often.  Games are expensive as well at ten years old or more.  Even 2042 price dropped big time.

Old TImer

Is anybody else making games like this?  I've seen the glitz and graphics of some of the newer games at this scale and it looks kind of cartoony to me.  Big Battlefront fan here too.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Destraex on January 08, 2023, 04:01:57 AMThey should do it before combat mission is lost to time like so many others.
The devs are old now are they not?

In their fifties, I think, so no, not old.

Rayfer

Short on time so I didn't look back through all the postings on this thread.  Quick question....is Red Thunder coming to Steam anytime soon?  Thanks.  Gotta run!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on January 29, 2023, 08:37:55 AMShort on time so I didn't look back through all the postings on this thread.  Quick question....is Red Thunder coming to Steam anytime soon?  Thanks.  Gotta run!

Sounds like they plan on posting their annual "what's coming" post either today or tomorrow so that is likely when we will here about upcoming plans for their games.

Redwolf

Quote from: gregb41352 on January 28, 2023, 07:37:29 PMIs anybody else making games like this?

There is Panzer Command, published by Matrix.

Sigwolf

Quote from: Redwolf on January 29, 2023, 06:26:05 PM
Quote from: gregb41352 on January 28, 2023, 07:37:29 PMIs anybody else making games like this?

There is Panzer Command, published by Matrix.
To be fair, the last Panzer Command was released in 2011, so doesn't really count as someone currently making such games.  Sort of slots in between CMx1 and CMx2.  Battlefront may be slow to adapt and evolve, but they are still actively supporting and developing Combat Mission.

Pete Dero

Skoop

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 08, 2020, 10:40:02 PMCombat Mission: Still Not In The Pacific?  :P

Sorry to necro slash's post, but boy does combat mission in the pacific sound really fun.

Sir Slash

Necro away Skoop, we all want to play in the sand.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

I saw yesterday that a Barbarossa mod has been created for Red Thunder! -- it looked sweet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!