Nuclear War Simulator

Started by Jarhead0331, May 23, 2020, 04:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

I gotta say, it never bothered me. I was born in 1956. I do remember the Cuban missile crisis, sort of, and I was aware of it all in the later 60s. I started wargaming in '65 or 66 (AH Gettysburg), so nukes became something we looked into as our gaming horizons expanded. The whole nuke thing never bothered any of us that I can recall. It was just a thing that was there, nothing you could do about it and it had no effect on daily life, other than the occasional drill at school.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on January 30, 2023, 10:51:04 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2023, 12:00:01 PM
Quote from: gregb41352 on January 28, 2023, 01:12:53 AMI'll undoubtedly check it over.  The difference between this and World War 2 is that I didn't participate in that one but I kinda feel like I did participate in the Cold War.  I remember being unsettled as a youth in the knowledge that the world could end at any time.  I remember the Cuban Crisis and not knowing what was going to happen. \\

I accept this, but don't really understand it. Unless you served in the military in some capacity during the Cold War or in one of its associated conflicts, I don't see passive observation and witness counting as "participation". At least, not to the point of making one uncomfortable to play a wargame. It would be like me saying I participated in Operation Iraqi Freedom because I was alive when it took place. Don't think that flies.
I disagree.  While I suffered no danger during Iraqi Freedom and could not claim to have participated, facing nuclear anhilliation during the 60's was something we all participated in as we were all likely to die from it.

I guess it's just a matter of semantics on how broadly one wants to define participation. So, thank you for your service, I guess.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Is anyone interested in writing a review of this sim for Grogheads? If so, I will supply you with a code.

Please PM me if interested.

Thanks!  :bow:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

It's been a tough week on the wallet, Undisputed, Second Front, Rimworld, and few VR games, and now Nuclear War is tomorrow.  I thought it was going to be a slow time of the year.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 01, 2023, 08:26:04 PMIt's been a tough week on the wallet, Undisputed, Second Front, Rimworld, and few VR games, and now Nuclear War is tomorrow.  I thought it was going to be a slow time of the year.

Write a review and it can be yours on Grogheads.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Although I plan to find it interested, I suspect I won't be able to understand all its details so not likely a game in my wheelhouse.

Grim.Reaper

Released, $29.99.  The prices is exactly what I suspected it to be so no surprise there.

Redwolf

How does this compare to "ICBM", also by Matrix?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on February 06, 2023, 02:44:22 PMHow does this compare to "ICBM", also by Matrix?

ICBM is to Company of Heroes as NWS is to Gary Grigsby's War in the West.  NWS is much more of a study simulation, where as ICBM is much more of a strategy game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

I think the same misconception is displayed in steam reviews - its simply not a game and doesn't pretend to be

al_infierno

Looks fairly interesting, apparently you can create an NPC and give them a plan for when the bombs drop, and the simulator sees whether or not they'd survive.  From the reviews it apparently doesn't cover absolutely everything such as flash blindness, but it looks fairly comprehensive.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on February 06, 2023, 06:00:18 PMLooks fairly interesting, apparently you can create an NPC and give them a plan for when the bombs drop, and the simulator sees whether or not they'd survive.  From the reviews it apparently doesn't cover absolutely everything such as flash blindness, but it looks fairly comprehensive.

There is a whole AI. You can turn the AI on for any nation and it will automatically formulate attack and first strike plans and/or retaliatory plans. The tracking of casualties is what I would describe as extremely robust, particularly when compared to other options in this subject matter. I wouldn't necessarily count the absence of stats pertaining to flash blindness as a negative. The depth of data calculated is staggering as is.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog