Strategic Command: American Civil War Announced

Started by steve58, April 07, 2022, 01:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

al_infierno

Wow!  If there's one way to get me back interested in the SC series, that's definitely how.   O0

Now we won't have to deal with air force units taking up valuable hex space that infantry should hold.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Don't even have to click.....got me at strategic civil war game.

Anguille

Rayfer

After having looked at the screen shots on the Matrix site, I'm not so sure about this one.  It looks like it has the 'no stacking' limitation of the WW2 iterations of the game.  It's far too early to say but the screenshots look like long WW2 front lines plopped down on a hex map of the USA.  I hope I'm wrong about it and that there is more to this than meets the eye. I hope I'm wrong.

Dammit Carl!

Geezer

FWIW I agree that the screenshot showing some kind of continuous front covering many miles doesn't look something that ever occurred in the Civil War.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

bobarossa

Think I'll stick to Forge of Freedom or AGEOD's CW2 for my civil war fix.

Anguille

Quote from: Rayfer on April 07, 2022, 02:30:56 PM
After having looked at the screen shots on the Matrix site, I'm not so sure about this one.  It looks like it has the 'no stacking' limitation of the WW2 iterations of the game.  It's far too early to say but the screenshots look like long WW2 front lines plopped down on a hex map of the USA.  I hope I'm wrong about it and that there is more to this than meets the eye. I hope I'm wrong.
Maybe i was over optimistic. We'll see.

ArizonaTank

Over the years, I have managed to purchase and play all of the SC series...but really only like one of them: WWI (particularly with the official Blue Max mod).

The WWII games I find to be just mediocre...mostly because there are just so many better WWII grand strategy games.

So I can't say I am really looking forward to this one. I don't think the traditional SC non-stack mechanic would lend itself well to 19th century and earlier warfare. But I could be wrong.

I might pick it up after a few years when it goes on sale.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

son of guest

I'm such a slut for Civil War games but that is a disturbing screeenshot.  They could have followed the mechanics of the Simonitch or Victory Games Civil War games as a model for army movement.  It would have simplified things quite a bit and captured more realistic strategic movement.  Of course I'll buy it anyway because...

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CJReich46

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on April 07, 2022, 04:37:17 PM
Oooo...am indeed...intrigued... :dreamer:

Agreed. I am intrigued as well. This could lend itself to some killer modding.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

matt3916

I'm a definite "wait and see" on this one.  From the hype, "Strategic Command: American Civil War comes with a massive 296 x 224 map, covering all of North America from Canada and New Mexico to the Caribbean at a 15km/9mi scale. This is the largest hex-based map ever offered by the Strategic Command series!"

They seem to be really proud of this.  Looks to me as if more than half of this "largest hex-based map" is totally irrelevant to the American Civil War.  Central America, really?

planetbrain

If there's stacking I'm in. Otherwise no. IMO a game without it is like playing '15 Puzzle'.
Mostly harmless