Strategic Command: American Civil War Announced

Started by steve58, April 07, 2022, 01:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bamilus

Quote from: Rayfer on April 07, 2022, 02:30:56 PM
After having looked at the screen shots on the Matrix site, I'm not so sure about this one.  It looks like it has the 'no stacking' limitation of the WW2 iterations of the game.  It's far too early to say but the screenshots look like long WW2 front lines plopped down on a hex map of the USA.  I hope I'm wrong about it and that there is more to this than meets the eye. I hope I'm wrong.

I'd bet money there's no stacking. It uses the same engine as the other games which don't have stacking and nothing in the screenshots implies that there is stacking. Disappointing.

Grim.Reaper

ArizonaTank

I'm still curious to see how SC engine does with the 19th century...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Maybe they're planning to use the map for expansions like the Mexican War and various North/Central American conflicts aside from the ACW...?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^From your keyboard to the ear of The Gaming Lord...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Bill Runacre has posted screenshots and explanations of the new river and sea mechanics on the Matrix website which I find very interesting, despite being sceptical about how the overall system can manage an ACW setting.

River transports and riverine fighting ships, raids along navigable rivers like the Missisipi and the Tennesee, forts like Fort Henry and Island 10 which can be upgraded , blockades of coastal supply ports by both ocean going Frigates as well as the use of coastal area ironclads and even submarinesare all in the game....

Realeasing at the end of June which means a relatively short time in closed Beta will have elapsed since the annoouncement....I guess that could be a good sign, but I will await some reviews I think.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

devoncop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeO2ltdmMgY&t=702s

Though not a huge fan of Agrippa's style of presentation this video gives a decent indication of opening gameplay......Maybe the system can cope with the ACW after all. The map is HUGE.

devoncop

Advance notice / request :

I will be definitely buying this one having watched a number of Lets Plays and seen the scope. It may lack the representation of tactical fights but operationally and strategically there are a huge number of options and different approaches that can be tried.

It uses the excellent PBEM++ system for MP so if anyone out there fancies learning the nuances of  this one along with me in a MP challenge from 30th June let me know via PM or via Steam (username devoncop222).

I prefer to take the Rebs so  am looking for a Union opponent.

Can do at least a turn a day being a) idle and b) retired.

I have played a bit of the other SC games but am anything but an expert !

Cheers

Ian

Tanaka

Quote from: devoncop on June 24, 2022, 04:05:20 PM
Advance notice / request :

I will be definitely buying this one having watched a number of Lets Plays and seen the scope. It may lack the representation of tactical fights but operationally and strategically there are a huge number of options and different approaches that can be tried.

It uses the excellent PBEM++ system for MP so if anyone out there fancies learning the nuances of  this one along with me in a MP challenge from 30th June let me know via PM or via Steam (username devoncop222).

I prefer to take the Rebs so  am looking for a Union opponent.

Can do at least a turn a day being a) idle and b) retired.

I have played a bit of the other SC games but am anything but an expert !

Cheers

Ian

Added you on Steam as Devoncop22 not 222? Definitely looking forward to this one and I am sure we will get a game going at some point!

devoncop

Yes you are right of course Tanaka ...dont even know my own name.

I am channelling my inner Braxton Bragg already  :idiot2:

Have been reading up on your exploits in Strategic Command WW1 and am about to watch your You Tube  MP  on the game  and realise I need to get some serious study in on Civil War before we play in MP, though I do think the playing field may be levelled up a bit due to the number of different mechanics Hubert and the gang have brought into thus iteration.

Lots of intruiging options.

Also I will be playing as both Union and Rebs to learn the strengths/weaknesses of both.

All the best

Ian

Tripoli

FWIT, Matrix is having a tournament in "Strategic Command: American Civil War": https://www.matrixgames.com/tournaments.  3 rounds, 35 days/round

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

devoncop

Already signed up !

Do you know if these are mirror matches or whether you get assigned Federalls/Confederates ?

Lee Rides North is the first round I see, halfway tgrough the war with the full war from 1861 being round 3.

Tripoli

Quote from: devoncop on June 28, 2022, 10:52:42 AM
Already signed up !

Do you know if these are mirror matches or whether you get assigned Federalls/Confederates ?

Lee Rides North is the first round I see, halfway tgrough the war with the full war from 1861 being round 3.

I don't know about how this tournament is run-I'm to busy getting destroyed in the FoG2 tournaments. ;D  I would like to hear what your impressions are of the game.  Right now, I'm getting my USCW fix via "Grand Tactician".

devoncop

Will do Tripoli.

Grand Tactician has been on my wishlist forever but a combination of supposedly problematic AI and the thought of playing this huge game in real time keeps putting me off...are you a fan ?

Tripoli

Quote from: devoncop on June 28, 2022, 12:00:06 PM
Will do Tripoli.

Grand Tactician has been on my wishlist forever but a combination of supposedly problematic AI and the thought of playing this huge game in real time keeps putting me off...are you a fan ?

IMHO, the AI is actually not bad.  One of the things I appreciate is that the AI will occasionally surprise you, by doing something that may be unexpected, but not stupid.  The AI does bunch up its units a bit too much later in engagements, but overall it is not bad.    The most recent Steam reviews are mostly positive with a 75% approval rate, and an overall 80% approval rate. The development team has steadily made improvements to the game that add not only content, but squash the occasional bug in the process.  The economic model was recently reworked (If I recall, one of the developers was trained in economics, and the other has a military background, both areas of training being evident in some of the game concepts and AI). Additionally, the blockade system has been improved a bit.  The game does have a heavy intellectual lift.  Other features I would like to see added are a more randomized leader capability model, to better reflect the difficulties that both Lincoln (and to a lesser extent Davis) experienced in finding good officers. One way I try to better reflect the leadership challenge is to have my divisional officers fight the battles: I can give them instructions on stance and maneuvers, but they a execute (or don't execute) the orders and supervise the brigade commanders without my input.  I like the ability to form my own OOB and TO&E.  Recently, while driving my car down a boring stretch of road, I entertained myself by thinking about how I was going to re-organize and re-equip the Army of the Potomac after its most recent engagement.   ;D  I think that says something about the quality of the game that it continues to entertain me while I'm engaged in mundane tasks like driving my car.

If you aren't sure whether to buy it, check out History Guy Gaming's most recent series on it here: https://youtu.be/3UZ9zRYl_eU  He is currently playing with the most recent update.  He is knowledgeable about the game (he's the guy who did the in game tutorials) and USCW history in general, and his videos are entertaining.  With that said, I would recommend getting it, both because it is a fun game, and because the development team has been very dedicated in its work supporting the game.  They have aggressively supported the game, releasing steadily made improvements to the game while also eliminating bugs.  Given the scope of what this small development team is attempting to do in the game I think it is money well spent to buy a copy.