Epic 40,000?

Started by LongBlade, June 04, 2012, 04:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Has anyone got any experience with Epic 40,000?

It looks like (sit down for this one) an affordable Warhammer 40k game: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Epic-40000

Like I need a new hobby, but dang those models look hawt.

Anyone seen this? How big are the minis?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

I played epic back in the 1980s when it was first released.  My understanding is that it was discontinued long ago.  All of my models were plastic and back then, there really wasn't too much variety, especially in vehicles.  Landraiders, Rhinos, Predators, Land Speeders, Leman Russ tanks, etc. and that's about it for imperial forces.  There were some really impressive custom jobs for titans and the super heavy battle tanks.  Eventually, I do believe GW released more models, but I think it was towards the end of Epic's short lifespan.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 04, 2012, 04:19:39 PM
I played epic back in the 1980s when it was first released.  My understanding is that it was discontinued long ago.  All of my models were plastic and back then, there really wasn't too much variety, especially in vehicles.  Landraiders, Rhinos, Predators, Land Speeders, Leman Russ tanks, etc. and that's about it for imperial forces.  There were some really impressive custom jobs for titans and the super heavy battle tanks.  Eventually, I do believe GW released more models, but I think it was towards the end of Epic's short lifespan.

All I know is that Forgeworld has a bunch for sale.

Heck, I'd buy them just because the Tau's and Space Marines' look so good.

Jarhead0331

Their selection looks pretty limited, where are all the infantry?

If you want them just to paint them that's one thing, but to build an army and play the game is not going to be cheap.  I think the latest rule book is 4th edition which was printed sometime in the mid-90s.  Its probably around $60 at best and like anything GW, the models ain't going to be cheap! 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

we bought a crapload of them in college in the early '90s and made up our own rules

loved that we could fight a HUGE battle on our desks in the dorm.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Cyrano

Epic has lived many lives.  The original "Space Marine" -- square bases for infantry -- was very popular at the height of my time B4YO (Before Four Year Old).  What made it particularly appealing was the awesome micro-scale apartment and office buildings that came with the set and were often the objective of the scenario.  That game got a ton of great expansions including the system-busting but model-brilliant "Titan Legions".  I still have a ton of that stuff including my beloved Blood Angel Imperator Titan.

With the release of "Epic 40K" proper the system shifted into something much closer in look and feel to the path the crew at GW has been on recently.  The infantry basis went linear and the rules actually made a good deal more sense -- the scales for ranged weaponry and AoE weapons remain horridly borked, though.

These days, the game is dead insofar as stuff for release through the company stores, but the living rules were still on-line last I looked and you could get a limited run iof miniatures.  In its current form, its actually a good ruleset -- especially if you don't feel committed to fielding some of the really weird troops that came out in the early army sets.  Likely my favorite is the dwarven digging steam train which I still have in metal.  I often wondered if the entire line wasn't an outlet for the kit that they knew they could never have done in 40K scale.

Now one wonders, would they let you play at a Chapter Approved store?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Blood Angels now and forever...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

LongBlade

Thanks, Cyrano.

I guess I'm mostly interested in collecting a few smaller scale minis and having them hang around. Gaming is somewhat secondary. Now I just need to capture a leprechaun and force him to hand over his pot o' gold and I'll be ready to rock n roll.

Cyrano

Well, I'm not the biggest fan of the Ultra-Princesses, but this site gives you a good idea of what the bits look like when well painted up:

http://miniature-art.tripod.com/epic40kultramarinesbattleforce/id6.html

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

LongBlade

Thanks. About 15mm scale?

Cyrano

No, far closer to 6mm.  Those paint jobs (excellent as they are) make em look a bit bigger.

Jim

Ubercat

Ahh, that brings back memories. I still have massive Eldar and Ork armies from the Space Marine/Titan Legions era of the mid 90's.

When Epic 40K came out I wanted to convert my forces over, most specifically by buying the new rectangular infantry bases and swapping out the square ones, but my prospects for finding opponents at the time were limited so I never did.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell