Main Menu

50 Hours

Started by Gusington, March 15, 2012, 01:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Thanks to Steam I can see that the last two games I have played heavily (Shogun 2 and Skyrim) I have put ~ 50 hours of time into. Do you think that 50 hours is enough to claim that you are now seasoned in big games like these?

I know some of you pour 100s of hours into some games. For the record I am also returning to Skyrim for a bit and will also return to Shogun 2. I think I could probably play these two games exclusively for the next year and be happy.

I also feel that I have just scratched the surface on both these titles as far as strategy, places to visit (Skyrim), factions to play (Shogun 2)...YMMV. Other titles may not require 50 hours to totally exhaust...could be half of that or even less.

So...is 50 hours enough for you to state that you are now seasoned in a game and have got your money's worth if the game cost you, say, 30.00?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

At about 40 hours into Skyrim I grew bored.

In fact, the moment I finished the main quest I realized I had covered most of the map and didn't have much else to look forward to.

By 50 hours I was done with it. I haven't played it since.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Sir Slash

That depends on whether your winning or getting your butt kicked for 50 hours. The original Baldurs Gate was whipping me something terribly and I was almost ready to give-up on it until i went back to the beginning and re-thought my tactics and began to succeed. Only then did it start to get fun. If your making progress, not just spinning your wheels, and still enjoying yourself, then 50 hours isn't too long to play.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Note that in my 50 hours with Shogun 2, for about half of that time I was getting my arse handed to me. Now, with about 12 turns left, I could probably win the game if I only had more time.

And 'tis the side quests that make the game in Skyrim. I left off at ~50 hours and I was just about to become a full blown vampire, Boss! I am salivating at the thought of jumping back in. Oh well, diff'rent strokes.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

I inadvertently got myself turned into a werewolf. But I married the chick from the guild just to see how it went down.

I never removed the werewolf curse - I just never used it. Having maxed out my bow and sneak skills I could pretty well take anything I wanted solo, and with a wife combat was almost a joke.

What was really funny is that the AI assumed, sarcastically, that your follower is a simple mule. I used to laugh everything I crafted some better armor or a better weapon and then was upgrading her.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Sir Slash

Have you guys tried any of the mods available?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

TheCommandTent

I try not to look at the page that shows you how many hours you've played on Steam.  :o

That being said I think it depends on the game.  Some games like Skyrim you can spend that much time and just scratch the surface depending on your playing style.  Other games 50hrs all at once would make you sick of a game.

There are games I will play the heck out of for a couple of days only to put it aside.  A couple weeks later I might come back to it.  I think over the life of the game on my computer I get the monies worth out of it, but I doubt I could honestly tell you how many hours I play on most.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

jomni

I'm past 20 hours in JA:BIA. I think I'll finish it in about 30 or 40 (if I don't rush).

Gusington

In general it is rare for me to put more than 100 hours into any games, except for my all time favorites that I play for at least several weeks per year. 50 hours or more is worth the initial cost of 30.00 dollars on average to me.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MIGMaster

QuoteSo...is 50 hours enough for you to state that you are now seasoned in a game and have got your money's worth if the game cost you, say, 30.00?

I musta played Tornado and the Desert Storm expansion steady for 2 years -  at the end of it I felt like the sim was an old friend and my $20.00 was recouped many times over..... harder to find a game like that these days....at least for me !

Silent Disapproval Robot

I kinda wish they didn't have the hours played feature on Steam.  It can get a bit depressing.

266 hours on Empire TW
146 on Shogun 2

4,000+ hours on IL-2 1946!!! (and that's not including all the time I put into it before it was all bundled into the 1946 package.  I bought each component seperately when they were first released.  Probably closer to 9,000 hours).

Gusington

I don't think I've spent 9000 hours on this planet. Jeebus.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah, maybe 9,000 is a bit of a high guess.  I played almost every night for a good 2-3 hours a night for 2.5-3 years.  Maybe 6,000 hours in total?

Gusington

Still insane. I wish I could pour that kind of time into anything.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

If you worked a 40 hour a week job for three years you'd have put in about 6000 hours.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys