Main Menu

Share your videos!

Started by W8taminute, July 15, 2014, 04:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Still in an ol' school FPS mood. Playing a nice 32 level mega wad called Return to Saturn episode 1 using Brutal Doom. One of the more excellent community wads, no jumping or crouching in this wad, just blasting.....you do have to reload though.

If anyone enjoys some old school FPS action now's a good time to jump in with the Steam sale. All you need is a copy of Doom 1 or Doom 2, i'd recommend Doom 2. Currently Doom 2 is $2.50, the rest of the stuff needed to enjoy literally hundreds of wads is all free. I'm just using some HD textures mods for this play through, the UI and music is stock for this wad, of course i can add mods to change the music or UI really easy through the mod manager.

Return to Saturn episode 1, map 2

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

-budd-

Came across this wad for some doom game play. Wow.....this might be the best looking map i've seen. There's a few interesting things, the moving parts on the doors and the vehicles, 3D objects in doom, never seen that before. Usually maps that look this good drop your FPS to an unplayable level, so far this played smooth. I usually do a play through before i record, but did this one cold, so i get a little lost...as usual :coolsmiley: . It's not the most difficult wad, but man it looks good. It's a little long of a video as i didn't know it was on huge level, so i cut it off and may record the rest. Curious to see how much of that city is accessible. The thumbnail is where i left it, don't know if anyone would be interested in seeing the rest of this map.

played using Doom2 with Brutal doom v21, GZDoom latest version, HUD mod, and a music wad. No added texture mods for the level.

W8taminute

You're right -budd- that is one good looking Doom map.  Makes me want to play it.  If you do get around to finishing that map I'd at least be interested in seeing it.  Gonna look this game up on Steam.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

-budd-

I finished the map, took an hour so I'll spilt it into 2 parts. It certainly ended with a bang.

You won't find anything on Steam. All the maps i show are free, made by modders. All you need is a copy of Doom 2 and the rest is free. Literally hundreds and hundreds of levels and level packs, a lot of other mods to mix in, sound, textures, weapons, hud mods.

The basic setup is Doom 2 , a source port, I use GZdoom, and a map pack or level, along with Brutal Doom. I add in a hud mod, sound mod and sometimes a HD texture pack if the level is older. GZDoom, Brutal Doom, and all the level packs are free. The only thing to install on your computer is Doom 2 , the rest don't get installed.

W8taminute

I did not know that.  Sounds like a great deal of free content is awaiting. 

GOG has Doom 2 + Final Doom for 9.99
Steam has Doom II for 2.49

I'm thinking the deal on GOG is better since you get more doom. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

-budd-

I think all the doom games are on sale on steam, check Steam. You only need Doom 2 but if you get more doom games you can play the levels from the doom games in doom 2 using GZdoom and with Brutal Doom.

It sounds complicated but really it's not that complicated. Let me know if you decide to get a doom game and I can help you get up and running with the rest of it.l can also put up the files you'll need on my Google drive for you to download.

-budd-

Second part, I enter the city. One more part to upload.

-budd-

Last part.
So after battling through hundreds of hell spawn, I get the yellow key and figure level is about over, not quite.

W8taminute

Quote from: -budd- on July 01, 2019, 10:53:56 AM
I think all the doom games are on sale on steam, check Steam. You only need Doom 2 but if you get more doom games you can play the levels from the doom games in doom 2 using GZdoom and with Brutal Doom.

It sounds complicated but really it's not that complicated. Let me know if you decide to get a doom game and I can help you get up and running with the rest of it.l can also put up the files you'll need on my Google drive for you to download.

Picked up Doom 2 the other day and played around with it a little yesterday.  Forgot how much fun this old game was when it first came out.  Gonna see if my Google-fu is strong and try to find more info about GZdoom and Brutal Doom.

W8taminute

Been playing around with ETS2 as well as my recent acquisition, American Truck Simulator.  Check out a short video of me taking cargo to Katowice Poland in ETS2.  It's not much but I love it when it rains in game, especially at night.

Huw the Poo

There's a key for cruise control, I think it's space by default.  Also did you know you can play your own music as well as internet radio?  There are even community-run radio stations specifically for ETS/ATS players!

-budd-

I don't know...they look kind of relaxing to play, but my guess is you need a wheel setup to do it right. Is there a meta game, so to speak with these simulators, get job, make money hauling, repair costs, late penalties,  so on and so on.

W8tamintue: let me know if you have questions about getting Doom mods and wads up and running.

Huw the Poo

Yeah you run a business which you gradually build up.  You begin by leasing a truck and doing jobs for other companies, then pretty soon you buy your own truck and take contracts.  Before you know it you've hired drivers, bought them trucks, and eventually more garages and more drivers.  There's no real end game, but it's fun to watch your empire grow.  Oh and yeah, plenty of opportunities to accrue fines!

I get on fine with mouse and keyboard but I can imagine it's more enjoyable with a wheel.

I can't overstate how relaxing these games are to play, it's quite something.  Driving along a pleasant, winding road watching the sun set and listening to good music is the best!

W8taminute

Exactly what Huw said about the meta game.   :bd:

It is a lot of fun driving on the road and making deliveries.  Believe it or not I enjoy the game without listening to the radio.  There is something about the hum of the truck engine and the retarder when you hit the brakes that I find very soothing. 

-budd-

Still messing around with Doom mods. Loaded up the most recent version of Project Brutality 3.0, not due for full release until later this year. There's some notable differences between Project Brutality and Brutal Doom, there are things i like about both. Project Brutality has 3-4 variations of the Doom monsters, more weapons, double jump, and ledge climbing, you can turn these options off/on in the options. I'd say Project Brutality has more options to configure to your liking. I'm using Project Brutality to play a Brutal Doom campaign, Extermination Day, i wasn't sure it would work as there was a falling out between the dev's of these mods. i also got my favorite HUD mod to work with both Brutal Doom and Project Brutality. It's a visor mod, with a bunch of configurable options.

This is Extermination Day Map 3. If i remember right there are 32 levels to Extermination Day.