Europa Universalis, please sir can I have some MOOR :) ?

Started by gameleaper, November 27, 2016, 04:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

I recently started playing crusader kings 2 and bought the Europa Universalis games, so I'm all set for xmas, but I was looking for similar grand strategy games and there are not many to choose from that I could find.

dose anybody know of any complex games like these, I have seen hearts of iron and civ etc.. but I'm looking for something I have not seen

Yskonyn

It looks like you have some great games to hold you over! Why look for the next best thing while these are top notch? Enjoy them. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

gameleaper

bbmike

If you mean EU4, there's a lot of game there. You can even randomize the New World and create your own country with the right DLC!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Toonces

I really enjoyed the Rome version of ck2.  Vae victus I think it's called.  Worth checking if you're looking for more of that type of goodness.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

gameleaper

ck2 is a great different sort of rpg I like it  :) Eu4 is amazingly complex I like it too :) 

Martok

gameleaper, if a grand-strategy title set in space sounds at all interesting, I'd strongly recommend Stellaris from Paradox.  It contains a lot of elements from their CK/EU games, but in a futuristic/sci-fi setting.  I find it to be a hell of a lot of fun. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

gameleaper

Ive had my eye on it as its on sale, I like the auto combat in space rather than micro manage it,  I was thinking more about the Hearts of Iron IV , but I read the A.I. may need work, anyone played it? but you've put stellaris back on my mind now :)

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on November 27, 2016, 11:51:37 AM
I really enjoyed the Rome version of ck2.  Vae victus I think it's called.  Worth checking if you're looking for more of that type of goodness.

EU:Rome had quite a few problems, and needed more filling-out even after the expansion. 

I've been hoping, above all others, that Paradox would do a new official EU: Rome 2 and give it the depth it deserves.  Would be well-served with a CK2 type of setup methinks.

JasonPratt

^^ Especially if they managed even a theoretical campaign synch (as with CK2 and EU4). I suppose for that to happen they would need to fill in the missing Grand Invasions blanks and start in the mid-300s with the split of the Western and Eastern Empire (after significant factions in the west rebel), then bring it up to the current start of CK2 in Charlemagne's day, as the first edition of VV2. (Which would thus also cover the rise of Islam up to its high watermark in Moorish Spain before Charles the Great defended Frankish Europe and started the pushback.)

Then Paradox could add expansions going farther back in time, however far they liked, perhaps terminating for VV2 with the fall of the republic and the rise of the Caesars (Julius / Augustus, etc.). The idea being that they could then create a 4th game leading to the Roman Empire with the rise of the Roman Republic.

Then a 5th game centering on events of Alexander's rise and heirs up to the start of the Roman Republic.

Then a 6th game centering on events of pre-Alexander Hellenism, probably with a focus on Persia's rise over the Assyrian empires and their eventual war with the Hellenic states.

Let's see, before that... a game spotlighting the Assyrian superstates I suppose? Eventually you're going to get back into the time of the rather unique period of the Davidic/Solomnic micro-empires and the cluster of Levantine micro-states which with the weakened Egypt and Syrian macro states nearby assumed a much greater local importance out of proportion to their size. Lottttts of royal family drama there, and reasonably well documented, too.  O0 :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

gameleaper

Thought You Guys May be interested in the games I found For Xtra Strategy Simular to EU4

I got

EU3 and HoI3 and March of the Eagles.
Making History the great war
Making history II war of the world
+ DLC Red Army
Plus there are some other Making History Games for Cheap
Hearts Of Iron IV
Sengoku
Victoria 2

Im now ready for Xmas

glen55

Quote from: gameleaper on November 27, 2016, 12:17:16 PM
Ive had my eye on it as its on sale, I like the auto combat in space rather than micro manage it,  I was thinking more about the Hearts of Iron IV , but I read the A.I. may need work, anyone played it? but you've put stellaris back on my mind now :)

Yes, the HOI 4 AI needs a lot of work, and unfortunately the history of the series suggests it will never really be adequate. In particular, if you are looking forward to modeling the air/naval war in the Pacific, . . . don't.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

mikeck

Check out Nobunaga's ambition: sphere of Influence. It is very deep and your spend a lot
Of time trying to recruit enemy generals to spy, come over to you -or better yet- sabotage the enemy fighting force. I've sent out generals at the head of armies who simply stop matching, refuse to fight and then join the enemy. LOTS of characters to assign, move around and kill like CK2
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

gameleaper

ok No air war :(

Does Nobunaga's ambition: sphere of Influence use real time battles, it looks like shogun?

Nefaro

Quote from: gameleaper on November 29, 2016, 05:14:55 AM
ok No air war :(

Does Nobunaga's ambition: sphere of Influence use real time battles, it looks like shogun?

Seamless real-time, in a separate phase of the turn after orders are done.  It's not terribly deep, mostly ordering your Generals to take a specified amount of troops & supplies down road paths to attack/defend.  There are a few simplistic options during the battle, but I never felt compelled to take control from the AI.

Nobunaga's is about ordering your subordinate leaders around to build and manage your domain & armies.  If you enjoy the strategic aspect of grand strategy, then it may be for you.

I just re-installed it last night because I've been wanting a historical grand strategy game with a different flavor.  One in which the battles can be resolved fairly quickly, and without too much twitchy micro-management, yet still has some satisfying empire management.