Gods help me -- I've purchased Civilization IV

Started by Martok, June 23, 2012, 09:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Yea!!! Mine shipped today.  Should be here Monday.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Martok

Mine shipped on Tuesday, so it'll be interesting to see if I get it before the 4th or not. 

Of course, later that same evening, I saw Target is now selling the game (same edition) for just $21.  Argh! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

I got my copy today.  I'm shocked that the USPS got it here early. 

Martok, you're going to get a bonus.  This copy I got comes with both CIV III and CIV IV complete editions, all on a single disk.  I already had CIV III, but it's still a nice bonus.  I don't have time to load today, as I have to head for Columbus in 30 mins, so will load tomorrow.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Martok

Coolio! 

Did your copy come in a DVD case, by the way? 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

OJsDad

Yes. No manual or anything else but a single dvd

OJsDad

Between being on way to Columbus for wedding and no power at home I did get to load it yet. We got hit with large storms yesterday. Over half of aep customers in the six couty area are out. We are on coop had power until about an hour ago. Wedding were going to has no power along with large parts of columbus

OJsDad

This is strange.  I got the game loaded and there are four desktop icons.  One for Colonization, which was expected, and then three for Civ IV, one Complete, one Warlord and one Beyond the Sword.  Silly me, thought using the Complete icon would give you the base game plus all of the expansions.  However, that does not seem to be the case.  For some reason, the Complete version seems to be only the base game.  Just looking at the available civs is enough to see this. 

Martok

Quote from: OJsDad on June 30, 2012, 02:17:30 PM
Between being on way to Columbus for wedding and no power at home I did get to load it yet. We got hit with large storms yesterday. Over half of aep customers in the six couty area are out. We are on coop had power until about an hour ago. Wedding were going to has no power along with large parts of columbus
Ugh.  That sounds familiar (I'm suddenly having flashbacks to last weekend).  I hope everything turned out all right! 

Quote from: OJsDad on July 01, 2012, 08:43:49 AM
This is strange.  I got the game loaded and there are four desktop icons.  One for Colonization, which was expected, and then three for Civ IV, one Complete, one Warlord and one Beyond the Sword.  Silly me, thought using the Complete icon would give you the base game plus all of the expansions.  However, that does not seem to be the case.  For some reason, the Complete version seems to be only the base game.  Just looking at the available civs is enough to see this. 
Huh.  Yeah, that's weird. 

So whenever I get my copy (hurry up, damn you!), I'm going to want to click the Beyond the Sword icon then, correct? 

MetalDog

Warlords and Beyond The Sword (BTS) each add more content to the base game.  That's why there are seperate icons for each game.  Honestly, I would start with the base game to familiarize myself with the game and concepts before tackling the expansions.  Then again, you can do like most of us guys and just load it and start playing.  Figure it out as you go along.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Ulfang

Ahhh the memories of play by email games with Civ IV. Great times.... Slow but fun.

I've played all the Civ games since they were released and every new one has become a favourite. I know a lot of people love Civ II more than any of them but when Civ III came out I preferred that, when Civ IV came out I preferred than and now Civ V is my favourite.

Single player games of Civ are great but the most fun is playing human opponents. I don't have time to sit and have a long multiplayer session so I always preferred play by Email. It's slow.... Very slow but I don't mind that.
Xfire: Ulfang
Steam/PSN/Xbox: Gavmundo

OJsDad

There doesn't seem to be a tutorial with either Warlords or BTS, so you'll want to go into complete and go through the tutorial there.  I think it took me about 45mins.  It leaves a lot to be desired. 

Manuals don't seem to be copied over from the DVD to the HD either, so you'll want to grab them.

Martok

MetalDog

^We won't be seeing you for a while :-)  Happy gaming!

Martok

Question:  Since this isn't actually what I ordered (I was expecting just the Civ IV: Complete Edition, but received Civ IV: Complete plus Civ III: Complete), does anyone know if there's onerous DRM on this package?  Or is it the same? 

MetalDog

I do not.  My IV Complete was purchased at Target and didn't come with III.