WITW coming to Steam August 3rd

Started by -budd-, July 25, 2017, 11:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Sir Slash

Good news indeed. Thanks budd.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Hofstadter

*clears throat*

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOI!
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Father Ted

Genuine question here:

I'm a great proponent of Steam - have hundreds of games- but I also own quite a few (like WitW) outside of Steam and don't feel I'm missing out on anything because they're not on Steam.  In other words why is it good news when games previously only available at eg Matrix also become available on Steam?

jamus34

Quote from: Father Ted on July 27, 2017, 04:55:04 PM
Genuine question here:

I'm a great proponent of Steam - have hundreds of games- but I also own quite a few (like WitW) outside of Steam and don't feel I'm missing out on anything because they're not on Steam.  In other words why is it good news when games previously only available at eg Matrix also become available on Steam?

Matrix is a niche publisher that probably has an annual web throughput of maybe a couple million people tops. Steam probably has more active users in a day than matrix sees in a year. So at the worst it will greatly increase visibility of their catalogue
Insert witty comment here.

Father Ted

Quote from: jamus34 on July 27, 2017, 04:59:24 PM
Quote from: Father Ted on July 27, 2017, 04:55:04 PM
Genuine question here:

Matrix is a niche publisher that probably has an annual web throughput of maybe a couple million people tops. Steam probably has more active users in a day than matrix sees in a year. So at the worst it will greatly increase visibility of their catalogue

Ah... I was only thinking of things in terms of us Grogs as current owners/new customers, so thank you.

Slick Wilhelm

I wonder what this really means as far as revenue for Gary Grigsby and Matrix Games? Does Steam take a cut of each sale? I guess I'm ignorant of the Steam sales model.

Con

Its not as simple as a cut and paste one size fits all model

First you have to think about what the target market is for most gamers on steam...I dont know the numbers but I can bet wargamers make a fraction of a percent
Second the game has to be found.  More than 90% of the steam community wont ever see the game since it is just one release after another there with no real way for developers to differentiate their product  on Steam outside of a landing page and key word tags
Lastly the psychology of spending close to upwards of $70 USD on a game will deter all but the best most informed and groggiest of wargamers

I obviously dont know the model either but I suspect the barriers I outline above will not represent a significant revenue stream to Matrix and or the developers of WitW.  That being said they do know what their numbers are and perhaps they know what the historical return for a wargame at the decline phase of its lifecycle will bring and they are willing to eek out every last cent to get it.

jomni

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on July 27, 2017, 10:53:54 PM
I wonder what this really means as far as revenue for Gary Grigsby and Matrix Games? Does Steam take a cut of each sale? I guess I'm ignorant of the Steam sales model.

Steam takes a cut. So does BlueSnap (their store operator).

For the user. Only advantage with Steam is autoupdate. And I like it.
Maybe also a higher chance of a deep discount?

Pete Dero

solops

I doubt that being on Steam could generate many additional sales for this type of niche game. All I can see is a reduction in revenue for GG and Matrix. We shall see. I imagine the Steam forum for WitW will initially fill with threads on the price followed by demands for a faster pace and a game controller UI.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

FarAway Sooner

Matrix has had other titles (e.g., WiTE) on Steam for a little while and must know what the revenue projections look like.  I trust them to know more than we can speculate.

Pete Dero

Quote from: solops on August 03, 2017, 05:56:03 PM
I imagine the Steam forum for WitW will initially fill with threads on the price followed by demands for a faster pace and a game controller UI.

You must be clairvoyant   ;) :

the graphics and presentation don't scream "$80" to me.

Age of Empires 2 is better

No game is worth the asking price of this

this is Matrix...their prices only go up over the years...

Raied

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 04, 2017, 02:53:51 AM
Quote from: solops on August 03, 2017, 05:56:03 PM
I imagine the Steam forum for WitW will initially fill with threads on the price followed by demands for a faster pace and a game controller UI.

You must be clairvoyant   ;) :

the graphics and presentation don't scream "$80" to me.

Age of Empires 2 is better

No game is worth the asking price of this

this is Matrix...their prices only go up over the years...

Why I should pay more than CoH2 price? this game only offers cryptic symbols and 80s gfX.