CMBN, RT, FB or BS opponent wanted.

Started by Yskonyn, August 13, 2017, 10:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

I am looking for a Combat Mission opponent.
Be advised that I will be unable to return turns on a daily basis.
I am a fan of using CMHelper and Dropbox for easy turn management.
I have all games and modules, except for the Fortress Italy line of products.
I will play any side.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

I think I've got all the WW2 except for Final Blitz (i.e. the Bulge). But you don't have Italy, so that will leave Red Thunder and Beyond Normandy.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

Great!
Do you have any preference for game?
And do you prefer scenarios or QB with force buy?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 13, 2017, 11:01:35 PM
Great!
Do you have any preference for game?

Maybe RT.

QuoteAnd do you prefer scenarios or QB with force buy?

I prefer force buy, but a random QB has its interest. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Yskonyn

Ok! RT it is. And we will buy a force.
Pick a side and send me your dropbox email and we'll get going!  :bd:
Its been quite a while since I've player Red Thunder, so I am excited!

Are you planning to make an AAR out of this? If so I will try to do the same, but it'll be a first.

JasonPratt

AAR, most likely.

Dropbox -- I don't have an account. I'll figure out something tho. (Strictly speaking I could attach a zip file to posts in a thread here! -- as long as it's less than 3 Megs.)

Next up: installing RT and making sure it's patched up!

...I sense a potential problem with our plan.  :hide:

Yskonyn

No problem at all!
We can manually email turns as well just fine, but the CMHelper + Dropbox really streamlines the process and has my preference. But if you don't want to use it we'll do it oldskool.

Drop a note here with your prefs for the game's setup and side when you are ready to start!

JasonPratt

RT was already installed (fortunately). Also, apparently patched up as far as current (1.03, build 3), comparing it with their patch list online.

I'm not sure I trust this from Battlefront nowadays, but we'll try it anyway.

Where would you recommend I get CMHelper?

(Note: if I'm active on Steam, you can just message me that way with the info.)

Yskonyn

JasonPratt

Okay, I'll get that after work.

Also keep in mind, if you want to get into Steel Divisions, we're already friended on Steam so just drop me a line if we're both on at the same time sometime.  O0

(Although for no clear reason their mp servers are toast right now.)

Yskonyn

I know! But live action is difficult at the moment due to work, but I'll definately give a shout when I see you're there.

JasonPratt

Well, I installed CM Helper, but I think it doesn't work unless I have a dropbox account (or a similar ftp service). It doesn't read saved files in my incoming or outgoing pbem RT folders, even when I point it to their root folder.

Still, it isn't hard to just move the save files into the proper folder and load from there, and then attach the created save files back here (via zip).

The last thing I very much need to do, is read the manual pdf and rediscover how to position units before the fight in my starting area. I've tried everything I can think of, but obviously not what works yet! (This was on a test play, not what we'll be playing.)

Meanwhile, which team do you want? Axis or Ally? I don't mind being assigned randomly between one of those, although if you have a particular side and group within that side, let me know. (I'm also presuming we'll set up as randomly as possible, other than manually buying our troops -- and we'll need a point limit I suppose. It's been too long since I played CMx1 to remember how much point limits really reflect.)

Ubercat

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about a game that requires a "helper" program to use. Oh, who am I kidding.  L:-) 

Let me know when they dump the ridiculous DRM. The jokes on me, though. I already paid for most of the CM2 WW2 stuff. :'( I just can't be bothered to keep jumping through all the hoops to keep the games I paid for playable. I don't care how friendly and attentive the tech support is. I shouldn't have to keep opening new tickets to play what I paid for.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Yskonyn

Heh Uber, I understand the frustration. This thread is not really the place though. :D
CMHelper is by no means neccessary; I just prefer it over having to manually copy files to folders and attach files to emails for every turn.
If you play only one opponent its ok, but usually I have several games running at once.

Jason, CMHelper can be a bit fiddly to setup.
You first have to configure the CM Game in it. I can walk you through it when we meet on Steam.
But indeed, if you are opposed to using Dropbox there it little need to hassle with CMHelper.

No preference for side either so we can roll the dice on that.
Regarding force buy. The random option in the game is not well suited IMO. It created very odd setup at times.
But a house rule I used before is to have 3 rolls available for automatic force creation and then tweak the skeleton you get up until total points spent.
How many point we need for a given sized fight is something I need to check.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 16, 2017, 12:24:25 AM
Regarding force buy. The random option in the game is not well suited IMO. It created very odd setup at times.

Yeah, on the test game I created (partly to see if CMH would detect saved pbem games if not in a ftl site somewhere) the Germans got exactly one tank (a Panzer 2 command tank!) and four armored cars, albeit some pretty nice ones. Half of those armored cars were also HQs!

Our mission was to assault into an area in the middle of the woods at night. Basically a mobile recon with a slower over-all command unit (the Pz2). And one of my ACs (the next HQ under the Pz2) was stuck waaaaaay off to the side of the deployment zone.

No idea if reinforcements were supposed to come later. No roads, lottssss of forest. The thing in the middle was a hidden industrial station of some sort, maybe an oil refinery, don't quite recall. It would have had some moderate fields of fire, simply for having a clearing around it to the surrounding woods!

That would have been an interesting if rather unrealistic fight. Out of curiosity, I loaded up the Soviet side. This was an infantry company, or maybe a couple of platoons, with basic infantry, snipers, machine gun squads, and as far as I could tell exactly one pushed anti-tank gun. They were starting clustered together in the trees far off in another corner.

That mission would have been two thousand percent insane.  :DD :bd: