General banter (out of character, non RP)

Started by Yskonyn, April 06, 2018, 11:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

This is the general thread to talk about whatever you want. The general chatbox.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Yay! By the benevolence of bayonetbrant we've been given our dedicated corner on the forums to manage and play the campaign! Pretty awesome!
Bear with me guys, as it will be the first time ever I am undertaking such a (admittedly big) task. I'll make plenty of errors, but the bright side is that I won't slap you guys either in the event something gets screwed up.

Regarding rules vs fun; Fun always trumps rules as far as I am concerned. We'll do our best to play by the rules as much as we can, but if we discover certain rules have been used wrongly, been omitted, don't work in MegaMek or whatever other situation we just move on.
No drama, no big deal.

Give me a few more days to get the forum sorted and filled with the required info.
In the mean time you guys should roll your Lances and try to create an interesting CO for your Company.
OpFor can still hang back. :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

I for one welcome our new Mechmaster overlord.

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 06, 2018, 12:23:16 PM
OpFor can still hang back. :D

I am making preliminary plans on how to adjust kit for the first battle (flashy but not necessarily very efficient), and then onward as the MCs level up.

Being OpFor, I can playtest variants without worrying about failure. (And without advancement either, of course; that's the fair tradeoff.)

...did I just miss heat management in the rule overviews? My brain has a hard time trying to wrap around not having to worry about heat management in Battletech (or loadout weights?)?  :o ???

Not that I'm complaining. I can shoot BIGDAKKA LAZERS as much as I want to, along with flamethrowers! Waaaaghhhh!  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

I think Heat is considered 'Advanced Rules' and so not in the Quickstart Rules. But indeed, Heat is a MAJOR factor in BT play.
Aparently you'll need Total Warfare to read up on the rules of heat, but do not fret; I'll post the gist of it in the Rules thread. Might not be as complete as what you will find in the book, but it beats having to shell out 50 bucks (for now at least)!

JasonPratt

What about system weights? I've slept since I looked through the three levels of quick rules but I don't recall seeing such things on the sheets. (Like, a Hunchback has a dry weight of x, and an AC20 adds Y tons, plus Z tons for each AC20 armor pack. Come to think of it, I seem to recall ammo systems simply being incorporated into the weapons as the number of shots available standardized in the weapons...)

Naturally I'm much more used to thinking about loadouts from the perspective of the Mechwarrior computer games.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Yskonyn

Weights are a thing for sure.
The easiest would be to download MegaMekLab (also included in the MekHQ package, but also available as a seperate download from the site) and configure your units in there.
It will handle weights, cost and availability per era.
For deeper info I would have to point you towards rulebook Tech Manual.

Yskonyn

I've added the Heat rules summary and I've also linked a very nice Tactics primer in the Downloads thread.

JasonPratt

Ah, yeah, heat and weight. Now we're talking Mechy.  :coolsmiley:

Soon my raptors shall prepare to feast.

Soon. But not yet.

Yskonyn

House rules thread updated with a new entry regarding rolling your Mechwarriors and starting Mechs. Please note that this is an optional step intended to add more flavour to your Company.

jamus34

Excellent...I will get cracking on this later today with a fine Scotch.
Insert witty comment here.

Yskonyn

I am now uploading the custom MekHQ version that will serve as a baseline for the campaign. (It will take some time, when its available I'll make a link in the applicable thread)
The archive included a complete install package of MekHQ (like you would download from the official site), but with everything I added like camo's, fluff images, etc.

The Command Company has been created in it as well. It can serve as inspiration and guidance.
You will find that I have 12 Mechwarriors, 10 techs and 1 Admin in my Company. You should all have the same amount of personnel for your Company.

Feel free to dream up a name for your Company and choose a custom Camo.

I am still figuring out how I would be able to merge your units into my MekHQ, so standby for that. I know its possible, just don't know how to do it. Suggestions are welcome.

JasonPratt

Congrats on rolling a Griffin, Ysk, by the way! -- or a good choice for a commander if you picked it manually. A relatively heavy, fast, jump-jetter, with long-range fire support punch.  :bd: You can keep away, find cover, take a few hits, and punch back with crippling side effects!

Yskonyn

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 07, 2018, 11:45:46 AM
Congrats on rolling a Griffin, Ysk, by the way! -- or a good choice for a commander if you picked it manually. A relatively heavy, fast, jump-jetter, with long-range fire support punch.  :bd: You can keep away, find cover, take a few hits, and punch back with crippling side effects!

I rolled every machine in my company, so it was a stroke of luck!
It's a good machine for the time period. I rolled a Shadow Hawk, Rifleman and a Crusader. :)

Yskonyn

The custom campaign version of MekHQ can now be downloaded from the Download Links thread!
It contains all the goodies you need and also serves as a baseline starting point as backup.

JasonPratt

In order to get in the mood, I've been watching Gundam: the 08th MS Team. Still consistently the best and most detailed real-robot land war series.  :smitten: