Consolidated Painting/Crafting advice thread

Started by bayonetbrant, April 24, 2018, 06:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Silent Disapproval Robot

Pulp author/Hugo award shit disturber Larry Correia is also a minis gaming nerd.  He's recently started to post some of his painting tips on his FB page and website.

http://monsterhunternation.com/2018/03/01/geeky-hobbies-basic-mini-painting-tutorial-2/

BanzaiCat

Thanks for this thread...might come in handy.

I never got around to painting any of my minis so I gotta think I'm nuts thinking I'm actually going to paint a model! Pfft

GDS_Starfury

Pick a model and practice on it over and over again.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

When painting armour

Use Tamiya NATO black as the base coat rather than primer. It gives your top paint job some depth when you paint it and don't get a wholly even coat
This is a NATO black base with a Dark Yellow coat...if I wasn't doing camo, it's ready

This also helps for any rubber on your wheels
No need to mask your wheels - just turn the pressure down on your compressor and reduce your paint flow and with a steady hand, you can paint the wheel with relative ease AND you're left with that worn, touched up in field look
Admittedly I could've done better here - but you get the gist

Also in the first image, I've got the skirting on the tank. I haven't stuck this down across the whole of the tank...I've put them on with a dab of glue at both ends so I can take them off. The reason I've done this is so I can have an even flow of camo
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Oh - also

Use cocktail sticks and Super Glue (you guys call it CA glue I think). Put a dab of glue on the cocktail stick and stick it onto the unpainted side of whatever you're painting so you can hold it

As in this image, where the cocktail stick would go right through, you can use pieces of sprue

Finally for today keep clothes pegs and polystyrene around so once these kinds of pieces have been painted, you can stand them up.
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

or you can prime the model normally, I use a red oxide color, and then pre-shade with the airbrush like this:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

PeaceFlower

I almost never painted kits. I was satisfied with the
default plastic color. Typically gray/tan for Axis tanks
and some shade of green/tan for Allied tanks. But there
was the occasional oddball kit. Like an Airfix short barrel
Panzer IV which was molded in blinding white.

I tried to lie to myself and pretend it was winter whitewash but it
was just too bright of a white. It looked more like a
UN peacekeeper vehicle and I would gnash my teeth every time
I looked at it.

My reasoning for avoiding painting was by
the time I spent money on paint, I could have bought another
kit.  I was following Stalin's dictum of quantity over quality.