Grand Tactician, American Civil War

Started by Phantom, May 04, 2018, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

I've been messing around with it recently.  It is much better now than it was in October.  I think it will be a winner

[edit: for those interested, History Guy Gaming is doing a Union campaign using the most recent patch(es).  It is up to 11 episodes now, but may give you an idea of how the game plays.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qvzWuSPC4o ]
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Rayfer

Quote from: Tripoli on July 10, 2021, 10:55:09 AM
I've been messing around with it recently.  It is much better now than it was in October.  I think it will be a winner

[edit: for those interested, History Guy Gaming is doing a Union campaign using the most recent patch(es).  It is up to 11 episodes now, but may give you an idea of how the game plays.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qvzWuSPC4o ]

Thanks for posting the link Tripoli.... :notworthy:   I'm into #1 now and see that's it's well done.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on July 10, 2021, 10:55:09 AM

+1....really happy with the way the dev has stuck with it....

can't say the same for many games out in early access land...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Pete Dero

Now I'm tempted. 

But on a scale from Panzer Corps to WITP AE how hard is it to learn ?

Tripoli

Quote from: Pete Dero on July 10, 2021, 03:03:24 PM
Now I'm tempted. 

But on a scale from Panzer Corps to WITP AE how hard is it to learn ?

Its not particularly hard. With that said, I don't think they've published a manual, and there are only 2 tutorial videos thus far.  When I play, I'm spending a lot of time just trying to figure out the "buttonology"  I assume that on release there will be a manual and that will help a lot. It is definitely easier than WITP AE
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

WallysWorld

The game is leaving Early Access and will be released on September 21st. I've been watching this game for quite a while now and haven't bought it yet, but I'm super interested now that the release date is close.

This day, August 21, 2021, marks a full year of Grand Tactician: The Civil War (1861-1865) in Early Access. That release, a year ago, saw the game receiving already positive comments from the game media, even as the game was far from finished. Now, after one full year of further development, the game has finally received a release date:

September 24, 2021!
(1800 UTC, which is 1400 Eastern / 1100 Western US time, 1900 Central European)

Grand Tactician: The Civil War (1861-1865) initial Early Access version vs. version 1.0:
3 --> 5 campaign scenarios (Pre-War 1861, Summer 1861, 1862, 1863, 1864)
10 --> 16 historical stand-alone battle scenarios (1st Manassas, Wilson's Creek, Pea Ridge, Glorieta Pass, Shiloh, Perryville, 2nd Manassas, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, Olustee, Wilderness, New Market, Bentonville, Appomattox)
Over twice the number of battle maps
Over 1,500 historical commanders
Improved performance and stability
Improved battle and campaign AI
Improved game play balance in battles and campaign
Updated and scalable User Interface (UI)
Improved information in form of addition tooltips and in-game manual ("Field Book"), an external manual, and tutorial videos.

Grand Tactician release notice
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Skoop

Yeah, I need to sit down and do a full campaign with all the latest additions.  Should be really fun now.  Like forge of freedom with better graphics.

Millipede

Old TImer

The developers, who have continued to update and improve the game since it's release,
dropped a major patch updating from sprites to 3D.  It looks pretty cool.
I know some have issues with this game but I've just compared it to Ageod's Civil War 2
and honestly there is no comparison.  My opinion Grand Tactician is the best Civil
War game ever made.  Never had much use for Ultimate General but I was (and am)
a big Ageod fan so saying that their Civil War game has been surpassed is a big deal.

Rayfer

Quote from: gregb41352 on December 05, 2021, 03:23:41 AM
The developers, who have continued to update and improve the game since it's release,
dropped a major patch updating from sprites to 3D.  It looks pretty cool.
I know some have issues with this game but I've just compared it to Ageod's Civil War 2
and honestly there is no comparison.  My opinion Grand Tactician is the best Civil
War game ever made.  Never had much use for Ultimate General but I was (and am)
a big Ageod fan so saying that their Civil War game has been surpassed is a big deal.

+1  My sentiments exactly.  Love the game.

W8taminute

Nice comments guys.  I'm going to have to check out the new 3D units.  I really like this game but the only thing from me saying this is better than AGEOD's Civil War 2 is the fact that there really isn't much to do wrt to building up the economy in Grand Tactician. 

I feel that Civil War 2 doesn't allow for control of battles on a tactical level but you can micromanage the economy whereas Grand Tactician is the exact opposite. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

The 3d units are a real game changer. 

Maybe I'm nuts but they seem a lot more responsive on the map too. 

This game keeps getting better and better.  Truly what I've always wanted in a Civil War Grand Strategy game.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Skoop

I always thought forge of freedom was the best all around civil war game and this game is similar to that as you get the strategic and tactical levels represented.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Skoop on December 06, 2021, 08:25:00 PM
I always thought forge of freedom was the best all around civil war game and this game is similar to that as you get the strategic and tactical levels represented.

Yeah, I really enjoyed Forge of Freedom.  Real forgotten gem.

The tac battles were a bit weak but fun and I really liked how they worked with the strategic layer. 

GT really captures that feel on a much bigger level.  Still hoping for a bit more in the way of maps in the future but that's apparently on the way.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Toonces

I seriously have to invest some time learning this game.  I played out the Gettysburg single scenario and thoroughly enjoyed it.  However, when I booted up the campaign I was utterly overwhelmed....seriously need to RTFM on this one.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs