Main Menu

Iron Harvest

Started by airboy, January 13, 2019, 08:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Actually, I have to say, as someone who loved CoH when it came out, but hates revisiting it today due to its age - Iron Harvest really hits the sweet spot for me.  When you play solo, the game lets you pause and give orders, which is actually impressive for an RTS.  The game feels far less micro-intensive than CoH, while retaining the same interesting tactics like directional cover, grabbing weapons from the ground, securing abandoned vehicles/field guns, etc.  I bet you could buy it on Steam and figure out within 20 minutes if you like it or not, and refund it if you don't.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Bloody Yanks coming to bail Europe out of another debacle.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Always late to the party :p
Good to see the US coming though. Makes me wonder what the steampunk navy is like.
Hope their is a sale.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

Saw this earlier today. Steampunk armored zeppelins! Loins moistening!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Free to Play for two days on steam.

ArizonaTank

I decided to take the plunge.

The game's look and feel is well done and polished.

But have been put off by the inane tutorial...

First there was a series of snowball fights...to teach how to move the map around and point and click. Kind of silly, and took way too long...

Then next in the tutorial is a "deer hunting" scenario. But in my case, the main character keeps missing the deer with the hunting rifle. So I am in an insanity loop where she keeps shooting, the deer keeps running, and me the human...is just not entertained. I did this for about 20 min yesterday and decided I had more important things to do with my life... I am certain that I am missing some "trick" to get past it...but do I really have to Youtube it? for a tutorial?

I'll try the game again in a few days. This time probably just bypassing the tutorial.

I know there is a good game in there...I just hope I get there before I lose patience.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

^I remember both tutorials well. I had to look up a YouTube video to get past the deer hunting. I kind of liked the snowball fights. I can assure you that it gets better afterwards. The single player campaigns have some difficult parts but they are very well done.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

The tutorial was an instant turnoff for me too, as is the entire story line circulating around this young girl who is destined to become a powerful partisan leader. That being said, once you get into the action, there is enjoyment to be had there...some. It's certainly not the best RTS ever made, but the mix of post-WWI tech and steampunk daka daka is appealing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Chosen One archetype + war story set in a semi-authentic postindustrial world = yuck.

I've barely touched this since it came out, but now Hegemony III is going to be dominating my RTS interest for the foreseeable future....   :-X
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on May 02, 2021, 02:40:56 PM
^I remember both tutorials well. I had to look up a YouTube video to get past the deer hunting. I kind of liked the snowball fights. I can assure you that it gets better afterwards. The single player campaigns have some difficult parts but they are very well done.

I found out the problem I was having with the deer hunting scenario. Basically the girl has to use her special ability to kill the deer. I was clicking the special ability with a left click (good so far...), but when I went to fire at the deer I was inadvertently hitting the right-mouse button to select the deer (bad)...this was instantly deselecting the special ability...but doing it so quickly that I did not see what was happening.... So when I actually made the shot, I was not using the special ability...but just did not realize it. Anyway I figured it out and I got through it. I guess the play testers did not have someone as fumble fingered as me.

I am now running through some "go here...go there...shoot the bad guys..." scenarios...  again, hoping it gets better.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

You haven't tried the campaign yet or am I reading your post wrong? I didn't play any scenarios I just went straight into the Polania campaign. Will play the Saxony and Rusviet campaigns in the near future.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I grabbed it in the sale after playing it for free. It impressed me enough to grab it. Shame none of my friends own it to play skirmish. The mate I was playing with was not impressed enough to pay $34aud. The amount of maps is a major stumbling point for skirmish. Still so far the campaign has a lot of character. Kinda reminds me of playing the original command and conquer. Whacky off the wall units and interesting back story.

fran

I tried it with free weekend on Steam, did not enjoy it enough to buy. I enjoyed the snowballs tutorial, the detailed graphics, but did not enjoy the gameplay. Will maybe buy on sale in the future. Did not play shirmish, only campaign.

Jarhead0331

My 30 second review:

The Operation Eagle DLC released a few days ago. I like the units and models. They appeal to me more than the Eastern European and Russian stuff. However, the story is still corny as $hit and the missions are all the same. Build a base, attack this refinery, fortify it and prepare for a massive counter-attack that is coming in 60 seconds.

If there is one major thing that annoys me about the missions it is that you can never secure your rear or your flanks. Enemy units always spawn from off-map in one location or another at various intervals. With the relatively low unit caps, this makes the game a very frustrating exercise.

The game has a lot going for it with the unique 1920s steampunk look, but the underlying mechanics suck overall and will drag the game down no matter how much content they release as DLC.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^I've read the same online...a lot of overly difficult samey missions.

I love the setting, so for me that's enough to bring me back for more.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd