Humankind! Civ-like game from Endless Space developers

Started by Rayfer, August 19, 2019, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Good thing I read that review.  I was literally about to pull the trigger and buy until I decided to check here first.  Now I'm thinking of holding off on Humankind.  Gotta watch some more LPs as well.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

steve58

@Gusington, @Jarhead0331, @Rayfer

Anyway way we can get the title of this Civ-like game added to the thread title or do someone need to just start a new thread?   Thx...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

solops

I am going to have to set this one aside for a while as I am beginning to run into too many issues as I progress. In addition to lacking good summary screens detailing all of the important information in a concise way with the relevant influences on that data, I have begun bumping into some really bad things that are either out and out flaws or outrageous game design decisions. The latest is a notification that I am about to lose the whole effing game because of my pop's low war support rating for my war against the Huns. Never heard a peep about that before. It is especially puzzzling because I am not at war with the Huns. They are not only my best trading partner but in an alliance with me. I am not at war with anyone. Stuff like this is just killing the game for me.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FlickJax

So consensus is this is not finished? Or just not good enough?  I do like a good CIV style game :(

Pete Dero

Quote from: FlickJax on September 09, 2021, 02:36:34 AM
So consensus is this is not finished? Or just not good enough?  I do like a good CIV style game :(

Currently, Humankind is very similar to its source of inspiration (Civ VI) with some new ideas that either have too limited an impact on the game play or are not very well developed yet.
Eg. you can stay in your current era to collect more points or fame but then you will fall behind the competition and you will almost always lose later.

A good game but not the CIV VI killer some hoped for. Maybe patching or (free ?) DLC can help that.

solops

Agreed. The whole "era" mechanic is awful. Too many gamey and immersion-killing mechanics. It needs a LOT of work before it's something I can play for hours.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Pete Dero

My game magazine recommends 'Old World' as an alternative.

https://mohawkgames.com/oldworld/

Requires Epic account  :(.
Steam release could become available mid 2022.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I picked up Old World just about 2 weeks ago and I've been playing it pretty constantly since.  I like it so far.  I've read some complaining about the graphics and saying they look a bit dated but I personally like them.  I was never a fan of the cartoonish style that Civ adopted.  Old World has a much more grounded style with a more natural colour pallet and unit, terrain, and character art depicting a realistic style.  The music is great and I like the fact that you have to research a tech before you can listen to it.  The AI is very challenging and I've yet to actually complete a full game as one or more of the AI nations ends up grinding me to dust.  I'm not sure if the AI cheats but I suspect that it does.  They seem to possess massive numbers of units.

I'm hoping that there will be some expansions for the game as it is already starting to feel a bit limited to me.  I'm seeing a fair number of repeats when it comes to events and dialogue choices.  I'd also like to see a few more wonders and tech options.  Having the game limited to the ancient/classical realm allows it to have a more detailed view of the time than Civ does but the tech trees and wonders don't really reflect this.   I'd also like to see a more detailed breakdown of your empire.  It can take a bit of drilling down to find all the stats of a unit, leader, or building and it's not always clear what the positives and negatives are or what the interplay is between terrain, building, governor, and family type.  Figuring it all out is part of the fun though.

Gusington

I too dislike the cartoony look of Civ VI. I got over it for a while but it crept back :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Old World sounds like it has some fascinating concepts in it.  Maybe it deserves a thread of its own? 

Pete Dero

KR777

Quote from: Gusington on September 14, 2021, 12:00:26 PM
I too dislike the cartoony look of Civ VI. I got over it for a while but it crept back :/
I'll never get over it.  :'( Bring back CIV1 - I loved the intro of that game  :smitten:

Gusington

My first Civ game was Civ II, on the original Playstation of all things. I don't think I have ever seen the intro to the original.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd