Gunner, HEAT, PC (new tank game/sim-lite)

Started by hellfish6, May 06, 2020, 04:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

JasonPratt

Infantry support sounds modeled but not playable per se.

QuoteA place for every role - Each vehicle type will be utilized according to its abilities.  A scout car won't be brawling with enemy MBTs, but it can do recon and spotting work that allows the rest of the team to outmaneuver the enemy and apply direct firepower effectively.  An IFV won't stand a chance in a knife fight, but it can unload infantry, secure a key town, and directly bring about a win.  Whatever role you choose to take, it will be important.

How much of that brief roll mentioned is modeled is unclear from the promo; from the brevity it could be abstracted by an "unload for x seconds within radius of r." Or it might be 'cloud' infantry who will create effects and fight each other and take damage from area strikes but won't be very visible (similar to how infantry were depicted in the Microprose classic game(s) this is clearly aiming to remake for modern systems). Or it could be squad infantry groups (from single snipers up) like in Combat Mission, some of whom have an anti-tank role.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

hellfish6

On Discord they've said they're not sure how far they want to go with it. I've pushed for infantry myself, but I'm one voice.

Toonces

I had totally forgotten about this game.  Boy, this sure does sound fantastic!

I'm a big, big fan of the sim-lite games more and more of late.  Games that capture the essence of simulating whatever it is they're simulating, but streamlining the minutia.  That, of course, is just my opinion, but it's my sweet-spot for gaming.  This sounds like it's right there where I like my sims to be.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MengJiao

Quote from: Toonces on January 31, 2021, 11:13:14 PM
I had totally forgotten about this game.  Boy, this sure does sound fantastic!

I'm a big, big fan of the sim-lite games more and more of late.  Games that capture the essence of simulating whatever it is they're simulating, but streamlining the minutia.  That, of course, is just my opinion, but it's my sweet-spot for gaming.  This sounds like it's right there where I like my sims to be.

I agree, but tank sims are not my cup of tea.  I sort of play everything in sim lite mode (especially DCS).

rustyshackleford

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 08, 2020, 08:15:39 PM
Is this JUST tanks? Are infantry going to be modeled?

If there's one thing I'm tired of....its having 4 games that do 4 different things

1 game for infantry
1 game for tanks
1 game for planes
1 game for warships

Isn't DCS attempting to merge all of that into one large game? I only fly Falcon 4 BMS so I haven't checked out much of DCS "plane" stuff, but from what I've gathered they also have tank modules that plug into the base game so human tanks and human planes can co-exist on the same battlefield. Pretty sure they will add infantry at some point.

WW2 online does this as well, but probably a bit arcadey (IDK, the last monthly subscription I paid was to iEntertainment Network's "Warbirds" in the 90s).

hellfish6

GHPC will have infantry and aviation at some point. The models are there, but the programming time isn't yet. I hadn't heard anything about DCS getting crewable ships... or infantry.

Also, some more new GHPC shots:

Jarhead0331

This looks really good. Do hope they add a more combined arms battlefield though. That will be really important for immersion.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

hellfish6

Jarhead0331

Quote from: hellfish6 on February 01, 2021, 05:00:01 PM
Give the new demo a shot. It's addictive.

I definitely will. Already downloaded. Just need to find the time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Father Ted

Quote from: rustyshackleford on February 01, 2021, 01:52:24 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 08, 2020, 08:15:39 PM
Is this JUST tanks? Are infantry going to be modeled?

If there's one thing I'm tired of....its having 4 games that do 4 different things

1 game for infantry
1 game for tanks
1 game for planes
1 game for warships

Isn't DCS attempting to merge all of that into one large game? I only fly Falcon 4 BMS so I haven't checked out much of DCS "plane" stuff, but from what I've gathered they also have tank modules that plug into the base game so human tanks and human planes can co-exist on the same battlefield. Pretty sure they will add infantry at some point.

WW2 online does this as well, but probably a bit arcadey (IDK, the last monthly subscription I paid was to iEntertainment Network's "Warbirds" in the 90s).

Arma does it, although probably warboats rather than warships

Bardolph

First kill:

Losing a track 5 minutes later (pic is from the AAR):

They're off to a good start. Driving seems a little wonky but is manageable with a little practice. Miss the crew voices from Steel Beasts but I imagine something is in the works. Shooting felt good, the results are rather hilariously detailed. AI seemed pretty scripted, but they're dead shots, don't dally or you'll brew. Sounds like they are planning for multi-crew and coop missions as well as PvP. Only thing I would wish for after that would be a version of the "command" part of Steel Beasts where you planned your battle on the map and had control of other units depending on your position.

Still clearly in an alpha state. I hit a BRDM 5 times with HEAT rounds that penetrated and it kept on shooting at me in spite of both crew being wounded multiple times. The gunner took at least 10 wounds. Tough bastards.
This is the fourth hit:

While I was shooting at the BRDM I got knocked out by an AT missile from over 800m away through multiple tree lines and no obvious line of sight. Possible, I suppose, but given his first three shots went into the dirt 30 yards in front of him I don't think he's that good lol!

My crew was equally hardy though, they kept shooting during the brew up:

Good times.

Toonces

That's a pretty darn impressive missile shot.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bardolph

If it wasn't the 80's I would think he had locked in on my cellphone  ;D