Imperiums: Greek Wars (successor to Aggressors) (historical pun intended)

Started by JasonPratt, August 01, 2020, 11:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Would you all recommend going straight to Imperium, or is Aggressors worth a purchase too?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Imperiums has more stuff, and the early Roman campaign is coming (apparently), at which point Aggressors will be redundant. (Also they're published by different people, and I doubt Aggressors is still being supported.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

devoncop

Personally I would go straight to Imperiums though Aggressors has good ratings. Apparently  Imperiums is more polished. As Alexander tickles your fancy  I expect the Greek rather than Roman focus would also appeal to you more.

Be aware on starting you have just four factions unlocked. The others are  unlocked by playtime with the easiest remaining factions being unlocked first. The last four hardest factions ( out of about 25) need certain conditions met by your play to unlock them.

Emergent factions are also a thing.

For info this is a deep game so dont judge the book by the cover in terms of graphics and has a biggish manual and probably the best diplomatic game and options I have seen.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

I welcome biggish manuals! Also like the idea of 'Civ for wargamers.'

Usually my favor goes more to Roman history but in the last 2-3 years I have read more Greek history too, and have recently done a lot of reading on Philip and Alexander.

I'm sure a few guys around here like Pratt have played Aggressors - I guess I should just go up-thread to see what I am forgetting.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: Gusington on May 04, 2021, 01:12:01 PM
Would you all recommend going straight to Imperium, or is Aggressors worth a purchase too?
I still have a sweet spot for Aggressors and play both. If you can get Aggressors discounted, i would get it. I am having my Rome fix right now with it.

Gusington

^I knew you would have been the first to answer, and I knew that would be the answer!

My heart lies with Rome, but from what I've read above and online in general, Imperiums is the better game...a conundrum!

I also really like that Aggressors can have the timeline adjusted between 1000 BC and 500 AD.

Dammit...ok I think I will get Imperiums now and save Aggressors for the Steam summer sale.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2021, 09:19:10 AM
Dammit...ok I think I will get Imperiums now and save Aggressors for the Steam summer sale.
Now that's a reasonable decision  ;)

Aggressor is a fairly solid and enjoyable game even if various improvements have gone into Imperiums. It will take some time before a similar map to Aggressor comes in Imperiums (he first has to complete the Alexander DLC) so i would say that both deserve a space in gamer's library.

Gusington

^Thanks Anguille. I didn't see any Aggressors DLC available - is there anything planned?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2021, 10:37:06 AM
^Thanks Anguille. I didn't see any Aggressors DLC available - is there anything planned?
Aggressors doesn't have any DLC but then the map covers most of the Antic World.

Imperiums has so far one: Troy. Alexander should come out in about 2 months. I know he intends to keep on working on it so you can expect a larger one laters on.

Gusington

Yeah the Alexander announcement is what sucked me into this maelstrom in the first place :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2021, 10:37:06 AM

There aren't any Aggressors expansions Gus and they are  very unlikely as the publisher is now different.

As Anguille says it is looking very promising for Imperiums  going forward though.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Like the Civ games, the Aggro/Imp system has a random map generator where everyone can start at dirt level, if you like. Also, campaign design tools, for which Aggro already has a number of maps and such in the Steam Workshop. I suppose Impi does, too, by now, just haven't checked.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Okay....so 8 hours in and I am well and truly hooked.

I had a hunch this was a keeper when  I found I wanted to continue the tutorial as Macedonia (continuing a campaign started as a tutorial is almost unheard of for me).

Obviously I made cock ups early but it has been a fascinating ride so far as I am finally managing to secure my northern borders and after a setback against the Athenian holdings to my east where Athens had the gall to initially invade me from and take a frontier town I managed to secure a military alliance with Chadlidike to my south who have helped me retake it and pushed on themselves.

Athens itself has just fallen to the Boetians  and the Persian satrapies look to be peeling away. I am currently ranked 3rd in terms of reaching victory but a long way to go...Meanwhile my most senior General has gained so much experience  his loyalty is now wavering as he gets delusions of grandeur and I have had to recall him to Pella from the front to stop him deserting....the "Kill General" button on the UI is calling me...he may have an unfortunate" accident" very soon. :knuppel2:

Incidently after 8 hours I have unlocked 4 more factions so far which pop up as Steam Achievements as each of them  unlock which us a nice touch.

Now I need to get back to seeing how I can secure my trade routes and try to form the Northern League....

Great game.