Main Menu

Galactic Ruler

Started by Jarhead0331, January 16, 2021, 09:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sparhawk on April 06, 2022, 07:18:10 PM
You've got my attention. As it seems along with everyone else I just couldn't connect with Supreme Ruler. I had Hearts of Iron though which is hard to compete with. I am drawn to complexity in a game but must have a UI that is not overly complex. In other words I'd rather invest more time in understanding game concepts than how to play. The way that colonies interact with the parent empire adds depth that is exciting to me. If this is an example of depth across the game it's up my worm hole.

There is a tremendous amount of depth here in GR...however, the UI is very rough and in some ways counter-intuitive. A lot of unnecessary clicks and menus that fold out into other menus and so on and so forth. A number of steps often have to be taken in order to accomplish a relatively simple task, like unloading troops onto a planet. I'm hopeful that the UI is still in a sketch state and will be further refined throughout the development process. Still, in its present state, it is one of my major concerns and complaints.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FarAway Sooner

Depending on how well the code for the game was architected and built out, fixing the GUI might be a lot easier than you think.  Spending a ton of time reworking GUIs on game systems that are still really fluid can be a major time suck for developers.

Of course, it's also possible that they've coded themselves into a corner and will never get out of it.  From the outside, it's almost impossible to know which is the case.  Isn't that reassuring?

:crazy2:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on April 07, 2022, 07:06:00 PM
Depending on how well the code for the game was architected and built out, fixing the GUI might be a lot easier than you think.  Spending a ton of time reworking GUIs on game systems that are still really fluid can be a major time suck for developers.

Of course, it's also possible that they've coded themselves into a corner and will never get out of it.  From the outside, it's almost impossible to know which is the case.  Isn't that reassuring?

:crazy2:

I'm assuming it is the later because the GUI has been pretty archaic throughout the SR series. I think if it could easily be changed, it would have been long ago.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

solops

25% off on Steam. Is it worth buying yet?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on June 24, 2022, 11:00:36 AM
25% off on Steam. Is it worth buying yet?

Only if you want to support development. Don't expect a complete, or bug-free experience.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

solops

It is still pricey, even at a quarter off. I have questions about the commitment of the devs to persevere and eventually turn out a polished product, but I don't know enough about it to judge and make the leap to buy.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on June 24, 2022, 09:13:42 PM
It is still pricey, even at a quarter off. I have questions about the commitment of the devs to persevere and eventually turn out a polished product, but I don't know enough about it to judge and make the leap to buy.

I wouldn't question the commitment of the developer, Battlegoat. They've been making "Ruler" games and supporting them for decades. The bigger issues as I see them are two fold...one, you either like the Ruler system or you don't. The UI and mechanics are unique in a lot of ways and for some, it just doesn't click. Two, whether the Ruler system will translate well on a galactic scale with systems of many planets. The scale here is pretty epic and it has seamless transitions from space to planetary surfaces and everything in between. They're going to need to streamline the UI and develop some pretty novel automation to make it all work well.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

BattleGoat Studios announces an August 3rd release date for Galactic Ruler.

Jarhead0331

This announcement took me a little by surprise. Not sure it is entirely ready for prime time.  I inquired about a post-release roadmap and they don't seem to have one yet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

I still imagine a giant space measurement stick in the vein of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy or spaceballs when I read this title.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

solops

Quote from: Destraex on July 22, 2022, 11:17:15 PM
I still imagine a giant space measurement stick in the vein of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy or spaceballs when I read this title.
:)

+1

W8taminute

Don't know how I missed this alert but the game does look interesting.  Actual battles on land and in space.  Seems like a dream come true.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Released yesterday, $30.....didn't enjoy their other games so will be holding off myself but hopefully it does well...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1138440/Galactic_Ruler/

W8taminute

^Nice.  Now to watch some let's plays and see if this bad boy is worth the investment.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

KR777

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 22, 2022, 12:03:22 PM
This announcement took me a little by surprise. Not sure it is entirely ready for prime time.  I inquired about a post-release roadmap and they don't seem to have one yet.
I had a relatively lenghty discussion with Chris on the steam announcement thread for the release date and... I quoted your steam review O:-) in order to persuade him to postpone release until steam review prove better quality. I also don't think it looks up to snuff to be honest. But he basically said that he's got xyz years of industry experience and thinks it's the right time. Well, I'm not seeing a lot of new reviews coming in on it and personally would be more than just wary to buy a game that has only 50% review score. Well, I sure hope I'm wrong.